Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Rootkit Scan Task And Target

Options

If we want to scan for Rootkits only, why we have to add target for scan because Rootkit scan is a system-wide scan? Bitdefender shouldn't ask to add target for Rootkit Scan.

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

Actually a rootkit will always infect the system partition or the MBR.

The action is natural, since is a custom scan, you will always need a target(remember the difference between On-Access and On-Demand).

The product will then scan for hidden files and hooks.

Take care.

• coolcool1227
    Options

What I mean that the option to scan all files should not be available, if I create scan task for Rootkits only. It is a wastage of time, I think, because first it scan all files and then for Rootkits probably.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Actually is not. Most rookits are dropped by Trojans so an extra scan is actually recommended.

Have a great weekend!

• coolcool1227
    Options

In previous versions of Bitdefender, when it scans for Rootkits, it displays that "Scanning for Rootkits" after scanning whole HDD (scan for files/folders etc) when we run Deep System Scan.

• coolcool1227
    coolcool1227 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options

Actually is not. Most rookits are dropped by Trojans so an extra scan is actually recommended.

Have a great weekend!

You may re-design the scanning method that also scan for Trojans instead of asking Scan Targets e.g separate pre-defined Scan Task for Rootkits only. And what if I don't add the all partitions as a scan target?

This discussion has been closed.