Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bdis 2012 Full System Scan

Options

I've been using BD Internet Security 2012 (current build 15.0.38.1605) for over a year now. Protection seems to be good but whenever I run a Full System Scan the time to complete the scan is between 3.5 and 5 hours. This seems excessively long. My system HDD has about 88 GB used and the scan shows that about 980,000 files were scanned. Oh, and of course, it is next to impossible to open and run any application, i.e. browser, mail client, Photoshop, etc. while the scan is taking place. I have to pause the scan and then resume it.

BD IS 2012 is running on a Win XP SP3 system with all updates applied. This is a desktop system. Prior to upgrading to BD IS 2012 I used BD IS 2011 on this system and a full system scan would take no longer than 2 hours.

I run BD IS 2011 on a HP laptop, Win 7 Pro, that has about 80 GB used on a 500 GB drive and a full system scan takes about 90 - 100 minutes. Another laptop, running Win 7 Pro, with about 85 GB used of 500 GB uses Norton 360 V5 and a full scan takes about 90 minutes.

Any suggestions as to why the full system scans take as long as they do now? Attached screenshot shows log of recent full system scan, showing number of files scanned and total time taken.

post-58453-1338694007_thumb.jpg

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

Welcome back!

The scan depends on multiple factors: operating system, degree of fragmented files, file types, etc.

We recommend you to let Auto Scan turned on and the Auto Pilot will take care of everything without manually scanning the PC.

Take care.

• Hello :)

Welcome back!

The scan depends on multiple factors: operating system, degree of fragmented files, file types, etc.

We recommend you to let Auto Scan turned on and the Auto Pilot will take care of everything without manually scanning the PC.

Take care.

While I appreciate the variables involved it scan times, 5 hours for a full system scan seems unreasonable, especially when the same scan using BD IS 2011 usually would not exceed 90 minutes. Your recommendation of Auto this and Auto that is not a solution. I prefer to configure my AV software to work the way I want it to.

I also prefer to do my scans weekly and manually. I always clear the entire cache, history, Temp files, etc. and defrag the drive before scanning as I do a system image backup after the scan is complete.

Overall I can't say that there has been any viable improvement in BD IS 2012 vs BD IS 2011 and there has been a noticeable decrease in system performance along with huge increases in scan times. With over 275 days left in my subscription it's going to hurt to change to another AV vendor but afraid that is what I'll be doing.

This seems to be a pretty consistent pattern with AV vendors--they produce a good product that does the intended job efficiently for a couple of years then they start adding "features" (usually not needed or wanted by customers) which cause the product to use more resources and slows performance. I've seen this cycle with McAfee, Norton, NOD, F-secure, Kaspersky and now Bitdefender.

Having used and liked BD for 4 years now I guess it's time to search for a more performance-friendly solution. I'll check back with BD in a couple of years and see if it's worth another look.

Thanks for the reply.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much for your feedback!

There is no need to scan you PC weekly as long as the protection is always on.

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

• kaysee
    Options

Thank you very much for your feedback!

There is no need to scan you PC weekly as long as the protection is always on.

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

• kaysee
    Options

Hi, I sadly have to concur with Highcountryrider. I have been with BitDefender for about 4 years or so and always thought highly of it. However I am now counting down the days before my antivirus runs out as my PC runs so slow. I bought the 2012 Antivirus as part of the deal when buying 2011. Having uninstalled it and reinstalled it there was no difference in speed. A full scan takes between 8 and 10 hours. I run a scan then go out to work. I have run a Quick Scan sometimes which takes time off the overall scan but who has time to wait for 2 scans. The PC runs slower than an old BBC B rarely scanning more than 5 files/second and I regularly run Disk Cleanups and Defrags.

I use Windows XP and have a fast broadband connection but not had the full benefit of it. Neither does my PC have an abundance of programms on it and there are no games. ( All deleted to increase run time ) Admittedly a large chunk of space is taken up by photographs and music, but again that should not influence things. I recently took a load of pictures off and put them on a memory card to save space but again there was no increase in speed.

I have suffered in silence until now, aware that it is nevertheless doing a good job protecting my system, but I fear the time has come to look elsewhere. I had no problems with previous versions, and 2010 was as good as its reviews.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi :)

I think I have a solution for your case.

As the new Bitdefender 2013 product suite was released, we would like to inform you that you benefit from a FREE upgrade to the latest version.

Apart from the fact that the 2013 suite brings lots of new features and improvements, it will most likely solve any issues that you may have encountered with your previous Bitdefender product.

Please check out this announcement:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=241&id=42

After you install the new version, if needed, we will continue the conversation on the new area from here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=293

Thank you!