Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Safepay Affecting Win 7 Themes / Desktop Background Slideshow

Options

I have run into a small problem with Safepay in Total Security 2013. Whenever I use Safepay, it disables my active Theme in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Instead of cycling through a slideshow of pictures, it now just remains fixed on 1 picture. Any ideas why this would be happening?

Comments

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options
    I have run into a small problem with Safepay in Total Security 2013. Whenever I use Safepay, it disables my active Theme in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Instead of cycling through a slideshow of pictures, it now just remains fixed on 1 picture. Any ideas why this would be happening?

Safepay replaces the existing wallpaper with one of its own and restores when finished. Unfortunately Windows does not offer a mechanism to restore a slideshow wallpaper. The issue was signaled and is currently under investigation, but I have to tell you it won't be easy. We'll get back when we have a working solution.

Regards,

Cristian

• coolcool1227
    Options

An old issue re-occur again with the latest Build, exiting from SafePay don't restore the Windows desktop Wallpaper (not slideshow wallpaper).

• camarie
    Options
    An old issue re-occur again with the latest Build, exiting from SafePay don't restore the Windows desktop Wallpaper (not slideshow wallpaper).

Yes, I received the issuse, which I think is a side effect of another one fixed and for release these days. Nonetheless I will retest the wallpaper thing again.

Can you tell me on which OS you get this issue?

Regards,

Cristian

• coolcool1227
    Options
    Yes, I received the issuse, which I think is a side effect of another one fixed and for release these days. Nonetheless I will retest the wallpaper thing again.

Can you tell me on which OS you get this issue?

Regards,

Cristian

Its Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, 32bits.

What do you mean by the side effect of another issue fixed? If one issue is fixed, other old issue will be re-occur. And Bitdefender will have the almost all the same same issues old and newer.

• camarie
    Options
    Its Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, 32bits.

What do you mean by the side effect of another issue fixed? If one issue is fixed, other old issue will be re-occur. And Bitdefender will have the almost all the same same issues old and newer.

First of all, I said "I think" is a side effect, I am not sure yet.

What I do think is that the shutdown code of OBK executes correctly but it is the a Windows COM interface call which fails (namely, IActiveDesktop, which changes the wallpaper). I received one log that shows the error code 0x8004005 (which is human means ... "failure", nothing more).

Again, I suppose this method (which dates back from IE 4 active desktop - remember when user could add web content to desktop) is not 100% reliable in certain condition.

Now for me remains two things to do, either

- discover a scenario why *sometimes* fail (because in my tests does not since a long time); that would simply means that is my fault - and I would be glad to be so because once I isolated my mistake I can fix it

- discover no scenario, only "sometimes Windows call does not work" which will be a problem, in this case the only thing to do is to harden the checks done by the twin Safepay (OBK.exe) guard executable (OBKCh.exe) and check on a timer or so if the desktop restoration fail and retry it.

Anyways I will follow up here with the results. From tomorrow morning this is the first thing I am tackling to (the other one being to make sure the printing issue is solved for good).

Regards,

Cristian

• coolcool1227
    Options
    First of all, I said "I think" is a side effect, I am not sure yet.

What I do think is that the shutdown code of OBK executes correctly but it is the a Windows COM interface call which fails (namely, IActiveDesktop, which changes the wallpaper). I received one log that shows the error code 0x8004005 (which is human means ... "failure", nothing more).

Again, I suppose this method (which dates back from IE 4 active desktop - remember when user could add web content to desktop) is not 100% reliable in certain condition.

Now for me remains two things to do, either

- discover a scenario why *sometimes* fail (because in my tests does not since a long time); that would simply means that is my fault - and I would be glad to be so because once I isolated my mistake I can fix it

- discover no scenario, only "sometimes Windows call does not work" which will be a problem, in this case the only thing to do is to harden the checks done by the twin Safepay (OBK.exe) guard executable (OBKCh.exe) and check on a timer or so if the desktop restoration fail and retry it.

Anyways I will follow up here with the results. From tomorrow morning this is the first thing I am tackling to (the other one being to make sure the printing issue is solved for good).

Regards,

Cristian

Its good thing to put a check on the restoration process and I also suggest to log in the Events in case of restoration failure.

Also sent you the PM.

• On Win7 Home Premium 64 bit after using Safepay my Windows log in screen wallpaper changed. Also my user account wallpaper was deleted/corrupted. Tried to pay a utility bill, had errors with the additional Bank verification

process. Disabled Safepay on all user accounts- problems solved ???

• camarie
    Options
    On Win7 Home Premium 64 bit after using Safepay my Windows log in screen wallpaper changed. Also my user account wallpaper was deleted/corrupted. Tried to pay a utility bill, had errors with the additional Bank verification

process. Disabled Safepay on all user accounts- problems solved ???

The issue was solved in 2014 and Safepay standalone by... replacing the Windows wallpaper implementation with our own. This was a nasty thing to do, but we come to the conclusion that wallpaper restoration mechanism in Windows is not the most reliable thing, so to say.

Now we have two choices for this issue:

1. you upgrade to 2014 version, if that would be ok for you. It's, obviously, entirely up to you to make such a decision - perhaps use another computer to evaluate 2014, compare with 2013 etc.

2. you stay with 2013 and we replace the implementation in 2013 with what we did in 2014. This will be quite a hard job and I will need your feedback from you if this is really needed (i.e. if this is happening to you a lot, disturbs your experience with the product etc.).

How do you think it will be better?

Regards,

Cristian

• Have been granted an extra 2 months on my 2013 package, just have to give Safepay a miss.

• camarie
    Options
    Have been granted an extra 2 months on my 2013 package, just have to give Safepay a miss.

Great. Just please follow up with any suggestions/questions you might have.

Cristian