Autopilot Disables Itself And Reverts To User Mode Frequently

I recently decided to switch from AVG to Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 and I purchased a multi-install license.

So far I'm pretty happy with the decision, but there is a nagging problem:

On my laptop computers Bitdefender frequently switches from "Autopilot" to "User Mode"

It does so silently in the background, leaving my systems at risk because when it switches modes by itself it also apparently turns off auto scanning and auto updating.

I've been using Bitdefendeer Antivirus Plus 2013 for over a month now on 3 systems and I've noticed that this problem does not occur on the one system that I leave running 24 hours a day (there is a desktop system in my home office that remains on 24/7, and I simply reboot it once a day). The problem seems to only happen with laptops, and I believe it mainly occurs when bringing a laptop out of any kind of "Sleep" or "Hibernate" status.

I hope that there is a fix for this because there is a lot to like about Bitdefender.

But if the problem persists, I'd rather switch back to something that I don't have to constantly check to make sure it's running and doing it's job (such as AVG 2013). This problem with Bitdefender is not only inconvenient but it's also a security issue.

I look forward to any feedback on this issue, thank you,

AnotherDave

Using Bitdefender Total Security. Paying BD customer since 2012

Comments

• Forgot to post my system specs:

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit (always kept fully updated, all drivers and BIOS kept fully updated, and well maintained registry)

- 8GB RAM, Intel Core i73612QM, 7200RPM 750GB SATA HD

- NO other antivirus or security suites running, nothing to interfere with Bitdefender

• AnotherDave
    AnotherDave ✭✭✭
    edited December 2012

I found in the Bitdefender documentation on my hard drive that this behavior is likely caused by Bitdefender going into "Laptop Mode" when my laptop systems switch to battery.

(Too bad this information is not documented in the Support page at http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html )

Here is a copy and paste from the local Bitdefender docs on my system just in case this can help someone else:

Laptop Mode

Laptop Mode is especially designed for laptop and notebook users. Its purpose is to minimize Bitdefender's impact on power consumption while these devices are running on battery. When Bitdefender operates in Laptop Mode, the Autoscan and Auto Update features are turned off, as they require more system resources and, implicitly, increase power consumption.

Bitdefender detects when your laptop has switched to battery power and it automatically enters Laptop Mode. Likewise, Bitdefender automatically exits Laptop Mode, when it detects the laptop is no longer running on battery.

To turn on or off automatic laptop mode, follow these steps:

1. Open the Bitdefender window.

2. Click the Settings button on the upper toolbar.

3. In the Settings Overview window, select General.

4. In the General Settings window, select the General tab.

5. Turn on or off automatic laptop mode by clicking the corresponding switch.

If Bitdefender is not installed on a laptop, turn off automatic laptop mode.

The really bad thing about this is we are given to choices:

A ) Manually enable Autopilot (or turn off Automatic Laptop Mode) and watch it drain battery quickly

or

B ) Leave Automatic Laptop Mode enabled, which appears to leave the system at risk since Autoscan is disabled

PERHAPS BITDEFENDER STAFF CAN PLEASE TELL US - what happens if our system encounters an infected application / download or page with malware while Autoscan is disabled?

Thanks for any replies or feedback!

• Hello :)

I already answered to this in your initial topic:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=167857

Take care.

This discussion has been closed.