Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Removed Outlook Pst File

Options

During the scan some trojans were detected. I choose the 'proper action' option and after that all my mail was missing.

I could recover the pst files from the events menu in BD but the custom folders I had made in Outlook were still gone.

I use a mail folder named 'keep' for important content. That was gone too :(

I had a 2 months old backup of the pst file so the damage is 2 months.

Why does BD remove the complete pst files when there is a suspicious mail?

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Regards,

Ton

Comments

• columbo
    columbo
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi Ton,

Sorry to hear about the deleted file.

It sounds like you tried the Recover Disinfected & Deleted Files recovery option: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=38212

Also, confirm it's not in Quarantine, as it can be restored from there . It may be something to consider, as some of us here have done, is to have Bitdefender by default quarantine anything suspicious, which then that leaves us with the choice of a more sure recovery, than hoping it can be brought back by the above link and steps. To do this go to Settings/Antivirus/Modify/Actions/Move file to quarantine (this will set you in User Mode)

To have that file (and any other) be skipped in the next scans, it would have to be added to Folder Exclusions: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35502

Scott

• coolcool1227
    Options

Something like this happened that for some file types Bitdefender unpack the file during scan and then re-pack it after scanning. Sometimes it happened that when a malware is found inside that, Bitdefender may repack it successfully, so to overcome this inability, it quarantine or delete the whole file.

• Thanks guys. I changed proper action into move to quarantine.

• columbo
    Options

You're welcome. ONT would vouch for that too ^_^

• Georgia
    Options

Hello Antoon,

This situation can occur when the infected item is packed in an archive and Bitdefender removes the infected item from within the archive but doesn't have the rights to repack it back.

This situation can be avoided in the future if you manually remove the email from the folder first.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

• Hello Antoon,

This situation can occur when the infected item is packed in an archive and Bitdefender removes the infected item from within the archive but doesn't have the rights to repack it back.

This situation can be avoided in the future if you manually remove the email from the folder first.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

How do I know what email to remove?

Does the scan show that?

• coolcool1227
    Options
    Something like this happened that for some file types Bitdefender unpack the file during scan and then re-pack it after scanning. Sometimes it happened that when a malware is found inside that, Bitdefender may repack it successfully, so to overcome this inability, it quarantine or delete the whole file.

Sorry my mistake

".....Bitdefender may not repack it successfully....."