Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bd W8 Security - Contextual Scan In Windows Explorer

Options

I downloaded NirLauncher 1.17.18. It downloads as a Zip file. The Zip file contains a bunch of utilities from NirSoft. I ran a BD W8 Security contextual scan by right clicking the Zip file locating the Bitdender line item in Windows Explorer. The scan identified a number of items as malicious. I chose to Cancel or clicked on the "x" on the top right of the GUI. I can't remember which. Whether I should have let Bitdefender take an action rather than clicking on Cancel or closing the GUI is besides the point here. That was my choice. I then deleted the Zip file and cleaned the Recycle bin.

I then right clicked on an executable file and the line item for the BD W8 Security contextual scan in Windows Explorer was gone. I retarted W8 and it returned.

The point of all of this is not whether I should have let BD W8 Security complete the operation of quarantining or deleting the items it found as being malicious.

The point is that when I cancelled the scan or closed the GUI by clicking on the "X" the option to run the BD W8 Security contexctual scan from Windows Explorer was no longer available. I did open Bitdefender and the main GUI indicated everything was okay. This should be looked at by Bitdefender to see if they can duplicate.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• coolcool1227
    Options

Yeah some of the Nirsoft utilities are detected as malicious by Antivirus softwares. May be explorer has to be restarted.

Another possible cause is that when Bitdefender found infections during any scan task, it resets some options from Windows Explorer e.g the options (Show Hidden Files and Folders, Hide extensions for know files types etc). May be there is some thing went wrong with that reseting and Explorer crashed.

• Nesivos
    Options
    Yeah some of the Nirsoft utilities are detected as malicious by Antivirus softwares. May be explorer has to be restarted.

Another possible cause is that when Bitdefender found infections during any scan task, it resets some options from Windows Explorer e.g the options (Show Hidden Files and Folders, Hide extensions for know files types etc). May be there is some thing went wrong with that reseting and Explorer crashed.

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't thought about restarting Windows Explorer as I believe that is new to W8. I will try and remember to try that in the future if something similar happens with it. Easier than restarting Windows 8 though restarting W8 clears memory that restarting Windows Explorer doesn't. There are also other benefites to restarting W8.

Thanks again.

Interestingly enough, though it was probably just a coincidence, I noticed an update to the BD W8 Security program a day or so later.