Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

General Anti-theft Info Needed.

Hiya:

Quick question. I was very impressed to see that Anti-Theft located me to within one house of my residence... Can you tell me how that works? My computer does not have GPS and if it used my ISP information it would have located me in another town entirely as that's where I show up when i use "Whatismyipaddress.com" and where Speedtest.net also puts me... Only your technology has near my exact location...

Also... I had installed Total Security 2013 but uninstalled it and went just with the Free AV because Total Security seemed so bloated and slowed things down. I chose to use the free version as well as Malware Bytes. HitMan Pro and the Windows Firewall. Hope I made the correct decision because the total Security license was not chea.p...

Anyhow - I had completely uninstalled Total Security and did not install any anti-theft software. Can you tell me how it is that when I log into my dashboard the anti-theft option is there and functioning? I'm just not so sure I enjoy the idea of people knowing exactly where i am at all times. LOL

Just looking for general information. Please feel free to respond to me directly as I'm not sure this forum will advise me of responses.

Thanks!

Rob

robnraleigh@aol.com

Comments

• Hiya Babarous,

Anti Theft uses, in the absence of GPS, cell location and relies on a triangulation with three cell towers. The Dashboard is always a little behind the times and it is probably still showing your location from the last time you tried it. Go to another location and run the check., it should still show that "old" location. :)

Ro.

• Hiya Babarous,

Anti Theft uses, in the absence of GPS, cell location and relies on a triangulation with three cell towers. The Dashboard is always a little behind the times and it is probably still showing your location from the last time you tried it. Go to another location and run the check., it should still show that "old" location. :)

Ro.

Hiya:

I am on a laptop with no cell hardware or gps hardware installed... This is how I am wondering how it knows my exact address off by a couple house numbers...

Any other location site I go to lists my ISP location in another town... It is amazing to me that this Anti-theft can target me so closely with out GPS or Cellular technologies being utilized. Especially since I have not installed any Anti-theft Software. Only Bitdefender FREE AntiVirus.

I don't need to refresh the location as it is already displaying my exact location practically. :)

Babarous

• Then they are not telling us something. <_< My laptop has no cell connection and it locates it a couple of miles away, when I am at home. Maybe someone from Bitdefender will explain it.

• Then they are not telling us something. <_< My laptop has no cell connection and it locates it a couple of miles away, when I am at home. Maybe someone from Bitdefender will explain it.

I sure hope so!!! It is very odd to me... I am using DsL... I am connected with WiFi to the router which is connected to the DsL modem.

I would understand this if i was on my iPhone or even my iPad because it has GPS location ability but not my laptop. I can't imagine my laptop having GPS capability and me not knowing it...

Please some one from Bitdefender explain how this Anti-theft locator works.

Thank you!

Babarous