Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Windows 7 Won't Load Properly After Defragmenting

Options

Hello everybody,

Yesterday I installed Bitdefender Antivirus Pro 2015 trial onto my Windows 7 laptop and defragmented my disk with it. Today my Windows isn't working. After logging in I can only see black screen with a cursor and bitdefender circle logo on the bottom right. I was able to close the logo and open taskmanager which looked like this:

vyqdfq.jpg

Things I tried:

1) Restoring windows. Didn't work as it seems all the restoration points have been removed except for the one after defragmenting the disk.

2) Repairing windows. Didn't work as no problems have been detected.

3) Running windows in Safe Mode. Works, but once trying to open bitdefender it shows an error message "Bitdefender services are not responding. Please restart your computer"

4) Starting windows in the last known good configuration. Works, but the windows are super slow and Bitdefender shows the exact same error message as in the safe mode.

This is the first time I am experiencing any problems with this laptop whatsoever. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Comments

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds like the defragmenter sideswiped a crucial file or two. Sorry to hear of your issue.

If it was my computer, I would boot into safe mode and FULLY uninstall BD AV Pro, per instructions that can be found on BD website. Then attempt a reboot. It is possible that one or more BD files have been

corrupted and Windows will not continue to boot because they are marked in the registry as mandatory for the boot to proceed.

I had a bad experience years ago with Acronis and some of its low level drivers which were marked as mandatory and I wound up having to restore both computers from system images that I make on a weekly basis. My computers would not even boot into safe mode.

Then I ripped out Acronis and, thanks to a helpful Acronis Forum Member, was able to hack the registry and remove the offending entries. The official Acronis uninstaller left those behind, rendering both computers

unbootable. Been using Paragon and Easeus as backup solutions since!

Hope this helps and let us know how you make out. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor