Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Auto-pilot Turns Off Firewall (conflict With Vlc)

Options
camp
edited March 2015 in General

here are some excerpts from VlC forum page https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=125083

with VLC 2.2.0 on XP:

- start VLC, it disables windows firewall

- exit VLC, it enables windows firewall

All I need is to play some local files... not anything from the internet.

How can I prevent VLC from disabling (turning off) the firewall?

response from VLC: VLC does not touch the firewall configuration directly. Check your firewall settings.

response: I have Bitdefender on this machine. It has a feature called "auto-pilot".

I found that when auto-pilot is disabled the "firewall turn-off" problem disappears. Then if I turn auto-pilot on, the problem appears again.

However, there are no other issues with auto-pilot, except when starting VLC, firewall is disabled.

There might be a billion computers with Bitdefender, and all use auto-pilot as it's quite unique.

What could be done?

Comments

• columbo
    Options
    here are some excerpts from VlC forum page https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=125083

with VLC 2.2.0 on XP:

-----------

-----------

That's probably a problem right there ^_^

What could be done?

It would be great if you were able to upgrade your OS.

On my Windows 8 Pro 64bit, here is what was already in my Firewall Rules:

post-4566-1427422921_thumb.jpg

By also adding VLC.exe to AV Process Exclusions, will automatically generate it in Firewall Rules. Try seeing if confirming or adding those in helps. Mine had no problem with Firewall/Autopilot disabling etc. As you said, one in a billion...maybe due to XP, BD and VLC not being happy playing together?

post-4566-1427423091_thumb.jpg

• Nesivos
    Options

with VLC 2.2.0 on XP:

All I need is to play some local files... not anything from the internet.

How can I prevent VLC from disabling (turning off) the firewall?

response from VLC: VLC does not touch the firewall configuration directly. Check your firewall settings.

response: I have Bitdefender on this machine. It has a feature called "auto-pilot".

I found that when auto-pilot is disabled the "firewall turn-off" problem disappears. Then if I turn auto-pilot on, the problem appears again.

However, there are no other issues with auto-pilot, except when starting VLC, firewall is disabled.

There might be a billion computers with Bitdefender, and all use auto-pilot as it's quite unique.

What could be done?

This solution addresses x64 computers with an x64 version of Windows installed.

There appears to be issues with VLC 2.2 x32. I had problems with it on my W7-SP1 computer. Uninstalled VLC 2.2 x32 and replaced it with VLC 2.2 x64. Problems gone. If you have not used VLC x64 be aware that you have to search for the download on their website. Its location is not obvious.

• columbo
    Options
    This solution addresses x64 computers with an x64 version of Windows installed.

There appears to be issues with VLC 2.2 x32. I had problems with it on my W7-SP1 computer. Uninstalled VLC 2.2 x32 and replaced it with VLC 2.2 x64. Problems gone. If you have not used VLC x64 be aware that you have to search for the download on their website. Its location is not obvious.

If OP, camp, is running 32-bit XP (as most people were) and if it is on an older PC with a 32-bit processor, could a 64-bit version of VLC run without issue?