Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Ts 2016 Breaks Homegroup On Win 7 Network

Options

After upgrading to Total Security 2016 from the 2015 version, my two computers, both running Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit on a wireless network, could no longer consistently see each other in the Homegroup. I did not have the problem in BDTS versions 2013 - 2015. I tried all the firewall settings and network exclusions suggested in the Bitdefender Help documentation (and that were repeated verbatim by BD support when I submitted a ticket), but none of them worked. Actually, the problem would go away for a while after turning off and back on the firewall, but would always come back.

I'm posting here a simple solution (a very satisfactory workaround) in case anyone else has this problem:

Just turn off the Bitdefender firewall, which should automatically turn on the Windows firewall. (You go to Modules, then Firewall and set Module Status to Off). You don't want this to be reported by BD as a "risk," with a red X showing in your desktop widget, so you'll also want to turn off the notification. (You go to General Settings, Advanced, Configure status alerts, and you turn off Firewall status). This will turn the red X in the widget back to a green check. And you can reduce the error count "1" in the widget back to zero by acknowledging the notification that the firewall has been turned off, just as you would acknowledge notification of any blocked threat.

I was not happy with the lack of support by Bitdefender Support. But I'm perfectly happy running BDTS 2016 with the Windows firewall, which makes BDTS run on my system/network with all Homegroup functionality intact. And who's to say that Windows firewall is any less secure than the BD firewall?

Comments

• mdgboxx
    Options
    After upgrading to Total Security 2016 from the 2015 version, my two computers, both running Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit on a wireless network, could no longer consistently see each other in the Homegroup. I did not have the problem in BDTS versions 2013 - 2015. I tried all the firewall settings and network exclusions suggested in the Bitdefender Help documentation (and that were repeated verbatim by BD support when I submitted a ticket), but none of them worked. Actually, the problem would go away for a while after turning off and back on the firewall, but would always come back.

I'm posting here a simple solution (a very satisfactory workaround) in case anyone else has this problem:

Just turn off the Bitdefender firewall, which should automatically turn on the Windows firewall. (You go to Modules, then Firewall and set Module Status to Off). You don't want this to be reported by BD as a "risk," with a red X showing in your desktop widget, so you'll also want to turn off the notification. (You go to General Settings, Advanced, Configure status alerts, and you turn off Firewall status). This will turn the red X in the widget back to a green check. And you can reduce the error count "1" in the widget back to zero by acknowledging the notification that the firewall has been turned off, just as you would acknowledge notification of any blocked threat.

I was not happy with the lack of support by Bitdefender Support. But I'm perfectly happy running BDTS 2016 with the Windows firewall, which makes BDTS run on my system/network with all Homegroup functionality intact. And who's to say that Windows firewall is any less secure than the BD firewall?

I have always been led to believe that, installing two or more Anti Viruses would create a conflict between them, and would minimize the protection efficiency of Each of them.

• I have always been led to believe that, installing two or more Anti Viruses would create a conflict between them, and would minimize the protection efficiency of Each of them.

I'm not running two anti viruses, only BDTS-2016. I've merely substituted the Windows firewall for the BD firewall. It adds up to ONE slightly "modified" anti virus program.

• I have the same issue.....everything ran fine under 2015, upgraded to 2016 and now PC's can't see each other, can't ping, nothing.....turned off all features, and still nothing. Only uninstalling fixes it.