Infected while Bitdefender total security 2016 installed

I have been using bitdefender for just about 6 months.  I tried out the package after a recommendation from some other power users.

I was very dismayed to find out that while I had total security installed, updated and running, my PC was infected with malware Hijack.AutoConfigURL.PrxyRST this malware kept setting my default internet connection to use some random proxy . 

I am a bit disappointed that the scans did not pick it up even with a full scan.  The antimalware protections didnt stop it from being installed even though I have to manually approve each application that wants to create files and I have my settings all set to normal.

I had to remove it by downloading malwarebytes free edition and it picked it up on the first scan and removed it. 

Featured content

bitdefender review banner

Ukrainian Government Websites Defaced in Massive Cyberattack

Hackers took down and defaced several Ukrainian government websites after diplomatic talks between Ukrainian, Russian and US officials reached a dead end on Thursday.

Read more

Top Five Security Tips for iPhone Owners in 2022

‘Less is more applies’ perfectly to exploits targeting iOS. They are rare, but can inflict major damage..

Read more

Critical Vulnerability in 3 WordPress Plugins Impacts 84,000 Websites

“Security experts last week disclosed a critical WordPress plugin vulnerability affecting over 84,000 websites"

Read more