Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

BDU alternate data stream with downloads

Options
jamestec
edited February 2017 in General

Hello,

Why does Bitdefender add an alternate data stream name BDU with a size of 0 to files downloaded with a web browser (Chrome, Edge, but not Waterfox)?

I noticed this behaviour in the 2017 and 2016 version.

The way I confirmed this to be Bitdefender is with a clean Windows 7 Pro 64Bit VM, I firstly install Chrome, then update PowerShell to version 3 and restart the VM, then I download Virtualbox for windows and run using Powershell:

get-item "C:\Users\JamWIn7\Downloads\VirtualBox-5.1.14-112924-Win.exe" -stream *

which outputs:

Stream Length
------ ------
:$DATA 123323224
Zone.Identifier 26

I then install Bitdefender 2017, update Bitdefender and restart the VM with the button Bitdefender displays. Then I delete the downloaded Virtualbox file and redownload with chrome, then run the same PowerShell command which gives:

Stream Length
------ ------
:$DATA 123323224
BDU 0
Zone.Identifier 26

This isn't just limited to the Virtualbox download file, the BDU ADS also appears if you say download PuTTY.

Not saying that this is a problem, just curious since I remember years ago on another forum, they said I might have malware because of the BDU ADS's.

Thanks,

Jamestec.