Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Sometimes Bitdefender is too clever for it's own good

Options

Hi

I'm fairly new to BitDefender Antivirus Plus 2017. I noticed the section on Ransomware & noticed that a default list of protected locations is set up by default. I realised that I'd better set up some trusted applications. So I added a few apps I commonly used & left it at that.

During the following day I spent a couple of hours editing some images (with a trusted app), edited some documents, a spreadsheet & various other stuff that's part of my daily work.

Today I notice that the image I'd worked so hard on yesterday has not been changed - I'd lost a couple of hours work. I checked a few other files I'd worked on and again all my changes were gone.

After uttering numerous profanities I calmed down with the intention of setting up all the apps I usually use as trusted apps & then remembered that it hadn't worked before. This set me thinking - what is the point of having a list of protected locations anyway. After all, I'm using BitDefender - if it's any good then it shouldn't let an outside source gain access to my PC to change or lock files - I certainly wouldn't allow it myself having had numerous scam calls from criminals urging me to let them have access via Log-Me-In et al.

So I've now removed all BitDefender's default protected locations since I can't be arsed to set up up a dozen or more trusted apps that may or may not work properly.

Sometimes an antivirus app is just too clever for its or anyone else's good.

Comments

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

/index.php?/profile/208620-horseblanket/" data-ipshover-target="https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/profile/208620-horseblanket/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="208620" rel="">@HorseBlanket

Welcome to the Bitdefender Forums.  That is really unusual behavior that you are reporting.  In my experience, using BDTS2017 on two computers, and having installed it on many of my client's computers, the Ransomware protection module issues an immediate alert pop-up telling you which application it has blocked, when it initially encounters an application that is not in the "Trusted" list.  You then have the option of adding to the list of "Trusted" apps, and that is the last time that BD will worry about that app.  If you tell BD to block that app, it will continue to be blocked whenever that app tries to create, modify, or delete files in the protected folders.

I have never heard, until your post, of BD quietly just blocking changes.  I haven't found a way to disable notifications (not that I want to), so something seems wrong with your installation.  I would contact Bitdefender at bitsy@bitdefender.com to request that Technical Support provide you with advice.

I, for one, would be very interested in their reply.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Sorin G.
    Options

Hello,

Adding to what Phil said please also provide them with the logs from the Bitdefender Support Tool to get a better view of the issue and how Bitdefender is behaving.

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-generate-a-support-log--1168.html

• Yes, there's something I'm just not understanding with this.

In light of the above I tried a few tests to familiarize myself with the software.

I created a new folder: 'V Test', I then added it to BitDefender's protected folders list.

I have no trusted or blocked applications set up.

I then copied some image files into the folder, proceeded to edit one of them & saved it back into the protected folder.

I opened the image with another application, edited it and saved it again. I then saved it with a different file name

Then, in File Explorer, I deleted one of the files & cut & paste the other one into a different folder.

During all of these operations there were no pop-ups or notifications from BitDefender.

I've looked at the documentation & it seems that all applications with a digital signature that I use are automatically trusted. An application without a digital signature causes a notification, whereupon I can specify whether to trust it or not. It will then be added to either the blocked or trusted applications list.

Regarding the protected folders, I, the current user, can do what I like with them & their contents, provided I use a digitally signed (trusted application).

I'm guessing that if there is another user on my PC then they won't be able to effect changes to my protected folders.

Although as far as I'm aware, another user account on the PC wouldn't be able to see my folders/files anyway so that's a little puzzling.

However, if I were stupid enough to allow a scammer into my PC using LogMeIn or somesuch then they would have all the rights & privileges that I do so what's the point?

As I said, I'm new to BitDefender so the above may well be just an idiot talking.

Of course, the question that remains is why, yesterday was I prevented editing my files.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

/index.php?/profile/208620-horseblanket/" data-ipshover-target="https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/profile/208620-horseblanket/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="208620" rel="">@HorseBlanket

/index.php?/profile/201429-sorin-g/" data-ipshover-target="https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/profile/201429-sorin-g/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="201429" rel="">@Sorin G. has requested Bitdefender Support Tool logs be submitted.  I have done that before when I encountered issues, and was very satisfied with the service received from Bitdefender Technical Support.  Since there are SO many possible computer configurations, BD Tech Support does need to have the information about your computer configuration to determine what might be happening with your computer and causing the issue that you reported.  If it is a bug, it will be rectified.

I recommend that you run the Bitdefender Support Tool from within the Bitdefender application and submit the requested logs.

Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor