Conflict with PlayerunknownsBattlegrounds

It appears that there is some conflict between Bitdefender and the game Playerunknown's Battlegrounds (https://www.playbattlegrounds.com/).  Here's what's happening:

The game launches without issue, however when attempting to connect to a server and join a game lobby, the screen freezes with blocky models on the screen.  After uninstalling Bitdefender, the game functions normally.  I have added exceptions in the firewall module to allow the game exe to run unimpeded without any change.

Here's the weird part:  If my Private Internet Access VPN (via PIA's app) is up, the game runs properly (without uninstalling bitdefender).

There are quite a few forum posts on PUBG's site and reddit about the issue with Bitdefender, so it isn't just me.  What's going on here?

I'm running Total Security 2017 (build 21.2.25.30) on Windows 10 (fully updated).  I'm willing to try some testing to figure this problem out and can grab some screenshots or other stuff if it would be helpful.

Comments

• Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2018 on Windows 7 works fine with PUBG. No conflicts, no low FPS. Profiles automatically activated.