Windows Defender and Bitdefender

I have reinstalled Windows 10 because of a bad disk. Bitdefender Internet Security 2018 is installed too, but Windows Defender is still running. Isn't Bitdefender turning Windows Defender off? I think it did when I made my first Windows 10 installation. I can't find a function where Windows Defender can be turned off manually?

Peter

Comments

• Hello,

Windows Defender gets disabled by the Windows Security Center automatically upon the installation of 3rd party security software.

There are some reports that Windows Defender refuses to disable itself automatically when other security software is installed. I would suggest a reinstall.

• Hello Ban

I wil try to do that. I suppose that I have to uninstall the Bitfender software first and not just install again?

Peter

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭

Peter:

You should be able to do a Bitdefender "Repair Installation" from the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Hi Phil

I have just done it without any luck. I have tried to disable it via grouppolicy still without luck. It just can't be done. Very strange.

Peter

• I though i was the only one with this issue, I'm glad I'm not the only one cause I have try everything. I also just reinstall my windows 10 OS (not reset or refresh) and now I'm having this very same issue as well.

• It looks like I have fixed it yesterday. Type MSconfig in run and press enter, on the tab Start find Windows Defender and disable it. Close the MSconfig console and  Windows will ask you to restart. After a restart the icon is gone and I can't see that the service is running.

Peter

• I might have to do that. Never had that issues until today.