Unable to reliably block internet access

Wondering if I can get some feedback from others who may use this feature. Disabling Internet Access for a Family Device via the BOX app. For me this has worked sporadically, mostly not worked. Is anyone else using this feature reliably? I ask because I am pulling my hair out with this and dont want to continue if this is a bugged feature that just wont work.

I've been round and round with BOX support. Thanks to anyone who shares their experience with Disable Internet Access feature!

Comments

• Michael_BD
    Michael_BD Technical Support Manager BD Staff

Hi, could you please post here your support ticket number so that we can look over the case and get back with more info?

• Hello, Here are a few of the tickets I have opened in the past. Not sure if any of these encompass the current issue I am having. There are most likely additional support numbers I have deleted. Once you determine the account you may have viability to them.

Also, a brief run down on my network environment.

• Cable Modem: Arris Surfboard SB6141, DHCP - Bridged

• Firewall: Ubiquity SecureGateway (DHCP Disabled, latest Firmware)

• Switch: Ubiquity Unifi 8 POE (No VLANS, latest Firmware)

• WAP: Ubiquity Unifi AP AC Pro (Latest Firmware)

• Bitdefender BOX: DHCP Server and DNS

• All clients use DHCP with BOX as default Gateway and DNS Servers

• One class C subnet 192.168.9.0/24

• LAN and Wifi clients are effected alike.
  • Michael_BD

Hi, we just released a firmware update today (2.1.1-7). Could you please perform the update and tell us if the issue still persists.

• Firmware on my BOX currently is 1.3.64.940, and the available is 1.3.64.940. Application version is 1.3.53.287. 

2.1 is quite a jump, how do I install that update?

Screenshot_20180106-131207.png

Screenshot_20180106-131238.png

• Hi Incredible - I don't think you can install the firmware that Michael mentioned because I believe the firmware he is referencing is for Bitdefender Box 2 (its the version I see on my Box 2).

• 13 hours ago, RichC said:

Hi Incredible - I don't think you can install the firmware that Michael mentioned because I believe the firmware he is referencing is for Bitdefender Box 2 (its the version I see on my Box 2).

Yup, that makes sense. Thank you for the insight Rich.

More info for this thread I want to mention the other day internet blocking magically started working again all on its own. I had two wired PCs that I had internet access set to blocked. Of course it wasnt working, the PCs could still use internet fine. A week later those PCs started to not be able to use the internet. I had to, was was able to, enable internet access in the BOX app. Success, the PCs could access the internet. A few days later and I again can not disable internet. I didnt do anything to get it to work of fail, its just random.

• As a test I replaced my Ubiquity SecureGateway with a crappy Linksys Wifirouter. I now seem to be able to reliably block and allow internet via the BOX app.

My download speeds are now cut in half but the BOX app works properly. What would the SecureGateway be doing that would interfere? https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/

• New Information. It still isnt working properly. It doesnt matter if I have my Secure Gateway or Linksys router as my edgerouter, BIT BOX still stops being able to block connections after a period of time.

Rebooting all equipment, cable modem, router, switch will let the BIT BOX block access as designed, but at some point, a number of hours, it will stop working again.

I would really like some Bitdefender attention here.

• Michael_BD

Hi, could you please provide me with the email address you used for the BOX setup through a direct message so that I can take a look at the account?

• On 1/22/2018 at 4:49 AM, Michael Bitdefender BOX said:

Hi, could you please provide me with the email address you used for the BOX setup through a direct message so that I can take a look at the account?

Wondering if you were able to figure anything out.

• Michael_BD

Hi, first of all let me apologize for the delayed response. We've forwarded your case to the development department and my colleagues are currently analyzing it. I will post here further updates,

• This is still an issue. Has anyone had this problem and resolved it? How?

• Still not resolved. It continues to be intermittent.

Using the Box App I have set a few Wireless and Hardwired PCs with Manual IP Address Assignment. Manual IP Address Assignment and Blocking Internet features come and go with no rhyme or reason.

• I have been experiencing similar problems. I am unable to shut internet off to specific devices. 

I have also noticed that my Central application on my computer does not match the settings on my Central application on my iPhone. 

• Silly question, but are the devices you are trying to block cellular devices?  If so, you won't be able to block them entirely using ANY home network firewall-like device.  Both Verizon and ATT have a family data policing feature for 5 dollars a month.  As the parent of two teenagers, it more than pays for itself.