Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

I think Bitdefender Total Security 2018 may be causing crashes

Options

For quite a while now, my computer would randomly freeze and require me to reboot in order to actually be able to get it working again. I was completely at a lot as to what could be causing it, I even uninstalled Corsair Utility Engine, as that has been known to cause crashes, but it has continued. But I just noticed something after rebooting. Upon rebooting after my computer froze while all I had open was Chrome and Discord, and my computer had been on for about 5-10 minutes, I found an icon on my desktop that hadn't been there before. This icon was "Bitdefender Vpn". Now, I'm not particularly sure, but I find it a bit strange that my computer would happen to freeze/crash and when restarted, BD had apparently updated. In the short amount of time my computer was online. And it happened to crash without it disrupting that update, with the update finishing.

Something that also I found quite good with BD was that it seems it handles Windows updates itself and I've never been interrupted by any notifications about it, but I now am beginning to believe that instead, it simply caused my system to crash. Is it possible that it is Bitdefender's updates and installs that are causing my system to freeze completely?

I also just checked, and Windows Update was last checked at around the time I crashed, so that's a thing. Nothing installed on that front. On the BD logs, it shows two updates within the last 30 minutes, surprise surprise, that's about when I crashed.

For now, I have turned auto-installing of updates off, because I believe that very well may be causing the system freezing that keeps happening.

Comments

• HENRYL
    Options

Hello, I have the exact problem and I always though it was my laptop. Now, I am convincing that bitdefender is the cause. the mail reason I switched from Norton because Norton forced me to use cloud for password. Now, bitdefender caused me many other issues that I did not have with Norton.