Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How the File Vault Works - Does it Copy Files?

Options

Hi,

I understand how to create a File Vault (.bvd file, mounted virtual drive), but I am wondering if the File Vault is a copy of all the files I put into it? For example, I have 750GB of personal files, photos and videos that I want to protect. I create a File Vault of 750GB in size, and then I select all the files (which happen to be in the same folder) to put into this vault. Then what happens? Are these files copied into the Vault? What is different about the 750GB .bvd file vs. my original files that I put in the Vault?

Also, I have read in a support article to: "Make sure not to delete the .bvd vault file. Deleting the file also deletes the vault contents." Does this mean that ONLY the files placed in the File Vault are deleted, or does this also mean that the ORIGINAL files placed in the Vault are ALSO deleted? I am a little hesitant to use a File Vault without knowing how it treats the files that are placed into it.

I would greatly appreciate clarification on whether or not the File Vault uses copies of the files placed into it, or if it is protecting these files some other way. I would hate to accidently have my original files deleted due to some issue or problem with using a File Vault.

Thanks.

Comments

• Stefan I.
    Options

Hello,

The file vault is a stand-alone environment, meaning that changes made to it's contents will never affect their original counterparts. The highlighted text is there only to warn you against accidentally deleting the .bvd file as doing so means you'll loose everything inside the vault.

Hope this helps.