Bitdefender CPU usage abnormally high

Bitdefender Total Security 2019 hogs my CPU. (Intel core i5-7600 running at 3.50GHz with 8Gb RAM, Windows 10, 5 internal hard drives - a mix of M2 and SSHDs.) It doesn't happen all the time, always just after start-up if I allow Bitdefender to do that (Protection > Antivirus > Settings > Shield > Advanced settings > Early boot scan ON), but if that setting is OFF then the problem will happen at a time of Bitdefender's choosing. It seems to hog the machine for 45 minutes until its scheduled scan is complete.

Switching on and off various features appears to make no difference to this behaviour.

The process name of the culprit is always bdservicehost (Bitdefender Virus Shield). When it is doing its worst, it hogs between 90% and 98% of the CPU and the machine grinds to a halt. Other work is almost pointless to attempt because there are no free CPU resources to deploy to that work. When it is not doing its intense scanning (I suppose), the machine is perfectly usable.

This is the only process on the machine that Task Manager reports as having a Very High Trend. I need a fix or else it gets uninstalled and you lose a customer. Happy Christmas!

Bitdefender high CPU screenshot.jpg

Comments

• Hello /index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214691" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/" rel="">@robtom,

Please let me know, did you configure the scheduled scan to have a High Scan Task Priority? You can check this by editing the scheduled scan.

• Hello Alex,

No, I didn't set it to have a High Scan Task Priority.

Thanks.

• Hello /index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214691" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/" rel="">@robtom,

We need to further investigate the situation you're encountering. Kindly email us at b[email protected] and reply to this thread with the support ticket number that will be sent automatically as a reply to your mail.

• cool1007cool1007
    edited January 8

Hi /index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214691" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/" rel="">@robtom,

I have had this issue for months (since September) and up until November, Bitdefender Tech Support has not been able to solve it. Did you?

I already sent another reply to my old ticket No. 2019092716340003, but I have little hope. If they can't fix this I think I'll switch to ***.

Thank you,

• robtomrobtom
    edited January 8

Hi cool1007,

I actually gave up on this. The problem was slowing the machine down so excessively that I ended up deleting the software rather than going through hoops with their tech support people. There was such an abundance of accounts like mine - and yours - on this forum and elsewhere that I reckoned that this issue, in spite of my best efforts to research it and circumvent it myself, would not get solved anyway. Good luck with your issue.***

• Hello /index.php?/profile/151089-cool1007/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="151089" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/151089-cool1007/" rel="">@cool1007,

As discussed via the ticketing system, we're glad to hear that the situation is now solved!

/index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214691" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/" rel="">@robtom We were looking forward to investigating upon the slowdowns you encountered. I'm quite certain that it can be solved. 

Looking forward to picking up your support ticket, should you decide to continue the troubleshooting process!

• I too have had this problem. It seems to occur when I initially boot-up my system. I have a gauge on my desktop the shows CPU, GPU, drives, etc. and bdservicehost seems to run in the neighborhood of 87-93% upon booting. My solution has been to reboot the system and the CPU runs at the normal range and I no longer see bdservicehost in my processes hogging everything. I have had no luck in switching it off or delaying its starting at boot.

I wish there was another solution than what I have come up with though.

• I have 8 License keys with Bitdefender, in total I have 2 Laptops, 1 remote server, 1 home server and 2 home gaming machines, all now running Bitdefender. That’s 6 machines all with the same problem. If I leave all machines on, after a short time the CPU's all Max out apart from the AMD Ryzen 7 3700x. That one goes up between 40-60 %. I have dug around constantly and still can’t get this rite. I have uninstalled it for now on the two servers because they are un usable at 100% CPU usage. I am now running AVG on both servers with zero issues. I do like Bitdefender and the firewall however if I can’t get this fixed, I’m going to have to install a hardware firewall. If this cant be fixed can I get a refund?

• I am also having this problem and requesting a refund. "Light on system resources," HA!!!

• I am facing the same issue. Bitdefender claims about low on resources is a big lie.

• I see the same problem, according to Redit BitDefender Devs know about this and are working on it - how about they tell the mods in the official support forum!

• Try changing your bitdefender profile to game mode (under utilities tab), this suppresses background activity from the software. This reduced my bitdefender CPU load from a constant 10% to 0.1%. Of course, this probably also reduces the level of protection you are receiving.

• JeffCJeffC
    edited September 18

I am also having this problem. I'm using the newest Total Security on a modern Thinkpad, a decent machine, but CPU usage for bdservicehost is always between 20%-60%, except sometimes very briefly after start-up when it can be under 1%. I don't know when this began, but I noticed it about a week ago. I switched to Total Security from regular Bitdefender Antivirus a few weeks ago. I have tried re-installing twice, that didn't work. I contacted support 6 days ago, and the only advice I've received in that time is an email suggesting that I re-install. It has now been 4 days since that email, and I've received no advice since then.

I'm about an hour away from uninstalling Bitdefender and trying another company's product. What else can I do, really?

If support is reading this, my ticket is 1005642863.

• I'm also having this problem, although when I turned off protection & turned it back on, it didn't go back upto 100%, but b/c everyone else is having this issue, I'm going to have to look for something else.

You guys don't even have a "turn off for an hour" feature.

I don't see ANY features with your software. I'm new to BD.

• I run the family version of BD and when I go to task manager it says that BD parental control is hogging 46% of my kids device constantly. Sort this out BD.