Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Dismiss Password Manager Recommendation in Bitdefender Internet Security

Options
SimonJ
SimonJ
edited January 2022 in Password Manager
I already use a password manager which I'm perfectly happy with so won't be using the new Password Manager product being advertised by Bitdefender.

Is there any way to dismiss the notifiaction so that I can focus on important security alerts and warnings?

I've tried clicking the notification to go the webpage, toggling settings around offers and notifications on and off but nothing seems to remove it.

Answers

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @SimonJ

The notification you have received is sent one-time-only, so it should no longer be displayed in the future.

The Password Manager is the latest member of the Bitdefender portfolio and we were excited to share the news and make everyone aware of its benefits and what it has to offer.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• SimonJ
    SimonJ
    edited December 2021
    Options
    3 days later and the notification is still there. Still can't see any obvious way to dismiss it - clicking "learn more" simply displays the web page but does not remove the notification. See the pasted image below.
  • Alexandru_BD
    Options

@SimonJ The notification displayed in your screenshot is related to recommendation notifications that can be turned off. I have inserted screenshots of my Central account displaying the same notification and the tab where you can configure your preferences for such notifications:

Let me know if this helps.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

How cool is the Dark mode by the way ?

• SimonJ
    SimonJ
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I have both Special offers and Recommendation notifications toggled off in my settings but the notification still appears. Suspect this may be a bug then based on your expectation that toggling that setting off should remove the notification. See the attached screengrabs from my desktop.

I've tried toggling both Special offers and Recommendation notifications on and off a few times but no change.
  • Alexandru_BD
    Options

I have just noticed it stays the same for me as well, even though I have disabled these notifications. So, you could be on to something here. I would recommend you to get in touch with our technical squad using one of the available contact methods here: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/ as some logs might be needed to troubleshoot this.

You can submit a case for them to investigate and I'll do my part from here and see if we're facing a potential bug.

Thank you.

• SimonJ
    Options
    I've submitted a case to the support team - ticket number 1007059495.
  • JamesETorres
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hello.

Any update on this bug, @Alexandru_BD?

I am running into the exact same issue as @SimonJ, where the advertised recommendations appear even though notifications are off.

I have submitted a ticket to the support team as well: 1007115869.

• SimonJ
    Options
    I received a response from the developers saying that this is actually the intended behaviour and they had no plans to change it, so unfortunately it looks doubtful that they will ever change this.

It seems that generaly functionality adverts are not covered by either the "Special Offers" or "Recommendation notifications" switches in settings - go figure....
  • SimonJ
    SimonJ
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Correction, the response was from customer care, but in any case the outcome was as described - don't hold you breath.

From: Bitdefender Support Center <bdsupport@tickets.bitdefender.com>
    Sent: 31 December 2021 09:20
    To: Jackson Si
    Subject: RE: New Open ticket: 1007059495

Dear Jackson Si,

Thank you for contacting Bitdefender.

I would like to confirm that the recommendations from the dashboard cannot be removed or disabled. The option that you disabled ensures that you will not have an pop ups on your computer reminding you of these features in Bitdefender but they will continue to appear in the dashboard along with a few others.

Jackson Si, thank you for your patience, please do not hesitate to reach me back should you need further help, I will be more than happy to assist you.

Have a blissful time ahead.

Kind Regards,
    Vlad M.
    Customer Care Representative
  • Alexandru_BD
    Options

Well guys, after some research I came to the conclusion that these recommendations cannot be disabled by design, because the recommendation section is part of the important advisory features and will remain displayed there until an action is taken by the user on each recommendation.

I'm sorry for the previous misleading information, it made sense to me to connect those two.

Best wishes.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

I would suggest to select the trial and this should remove the notification from the dashboard. You don't necessary have to use the trial. I did this and the Password Manager recommendation is no longer displayed in the dashboard for me. Afterwards, you can disable Password Manager from the Privacy tab:

Let me know if this works for you.

Cheers.

• Hello, I selected trial, enabled it, enabled the password manager utility, even created a wallet and installed the extension on my browser but the notification is still there. I am afraid this might be a reason for me to cancel my subscription, so please let me know how it can be removed.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @antonispgs,

Kindly note that the Password Manager displayed in the Bitdefender product is in fact the previous Wallet module. The terminology will be corrected shortly, to avoid any confusion. For the Password Manager recommendation to be removed, you may activate the Password Manager trial and browser extension from the Central account and remove it afterwards, if it is not suitable for your requirements.

Best regards.

• Not sure you have understood what the problem is, I did all that, yet the recommendation to install and learn more about password manager was still there. Anyway, I have since cancelled my trial and moved on to another antivirus that is much more quiet and just works.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello everyone,

Just a quick follow up on this topic. The developers have acknowledged the issue and will fix this behavior. It is work in progress.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards.

• Turbotim
    Options

Thanks for the update Alexandru,

it may seem trivial but this is incredibly annoying for some people (especially for a paid product), and I totally understand why antonispgs cancelled.

Regards

• JamesETorres
    Options

Thanks for the update @Alexandru_BD 🙂

I agree with @Turbotim, it's a trivial thing; I look forward to the fix 😊

• Gossimer88
    edited April 2022
    Options

It's shameful that BD has gone the way of in-your-face forced marketing as their top priority for recommendations (that cannot be selectively disabled, it's either ALL on or ALL off), meanwhile virus protection updates (the thing you're already paying for) has been relegated to third or fourth. If they don't fix this by the time my renewal is due, then I'm GONE! There are comparable alternatives out there that don't constantly nag you to buy more and simply do what you've already paid them to do.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi,

To offer an effective operation and increased protection while carrying out different activities, Bitdefender Autopilot will act as your personal security advisor. Depending on the activity you perform, either you work, make online payments, watch movies, or play games, Bitdefender Autopilot will come up with contextual recommendations based on your device usage and needs. The proposed recommendations may also be related to actions that you need to perform to keep your product working at its full capacity. This is the main purpose of the Dashboard recommendations section. With the launch of the new Password Manager, the recommendation of usage was also displayed here. We do this not for marketing purposes, but to make the users aware of the available security features and help them make the best out of their Bitdefender subscription. With this in mind, the advisor proved very useful, especially for users that are not tech savvy and could use this guidance.

I agree that the developers have a situation on their hands, because there should be a working option to disable such recommendations by choice. But they will figure this out.

Thank you.

• DarthVader
    edited April 2022
    Options

I have 5 PCs and also have in contact with customer service, but this recommendation insists on annoying me. Today, I even tried to uninstall it with Revo Uninstaller Pro, and I deleted all remaining BD files. After fresh reinstall, it is still here.

EDIT: Even try to activate this Manager for 3 months trial and it did not help :(

Please, remove it.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @DarthVader and welcome to the Community!

The product development teams and engineers are working to solve this issue, to create a progressive dismissal mechanism that will be implemented in the upcoming release. Unfortunately, we don't have an ETA yet, but it will come for sure. I regret the inconvenience caused to you and to other members as well.

Thank you for your patience and understanding and for reaching out.

May the Force be with you.

• CapBlah
    Options

Yeah, one more annoyed customer here.

I have my own password manager and I'm also one of those that like to go over the recommendations and trigger the offered actions... but buying something I already have is not one of them.

note: Alexandru, you're playing with fire, using a Jedi salutation to a Sith lord. If you don't respond this message, I'll consider Lord Vader already found your lack of faith disturbing: 🤏

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @CapBlah,

The developers are working on this, they will implement a setting to improve the preference settings for these notifications soon.

Fair point, I was trying to lure Vader back from the dark side 😄

• Frederico
    Options

Hi there,

Brand new customer and i'm already annoyed.

Any news regarding this recommendations in the dashboard?

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Frederico

Hello.

Open your Bitdefender program and go to:

1. Settings -> General and disable "Special offers" and "Recommendation notifications"

2. Protection -> Antivirus -> Settings -> Scan flash drives and select "Autoscan" or "Disabled", do not select "Ask every time" (for the "USB Immunizer Recommendation" notification)

3. Privacy -> Safepay -> Settings and disable "Safepay notifications"

4. Privacy -> Video & Audio Protection -> Settings and disable "Notify when allowed applications connect to the webcam", "Notify when an application tries to access the microphone" and "Notify when browsers access the microphone"

5. Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and disable "Activate profiles automatically" (for the Profile notification)

After doing that, in the future no pop-up notifications will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen.

REMEMBER: When a threat is detected, a pop-up notification will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen and you can't disable those pop-up notifications.

Regards.

• Frederico
    Options

Well, thanks, i've done all that already, while i was searching how to solve my "issue".

However, i'm talking about this:

The recommendations, not the popups

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    Options

Hi @Frederico

Just click on those prompts and if desired go back and uncheck something the recommendation wanted you to enable. It will then clear those recommendations.

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Gjoksi
    Options

@Frederico

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I guess you mean this recommendation:

For that particular recommendation, you can't disable it.

And for the other recommendations, you can temporary disable them by clicking "Secure new device", "Protect new device", "View details", "Learn more" etc., but believe me sooner or later they will be back.

For now, all you can do is to ignore them.

Regards.

• Gjoksi
    edited June 2022
    Options

Kind regards.

• IronPyrite
    edited August 2022
    Options

After very intentionally disabling "Special offers" and "Recommendation Notifications" and then receiving Password Manager offers anyway...EVERY 3 DAYS...this would be the quickest way to lose business.

You're doing this for 1 of 2 reasons: 1.) you're disrespecting customer wishes and choosing to spam them anyway or 2.) your product has a bug and not operating as intended, which lowers my overall confidence in it.

Would I recommend Bitdefender to family and friends at this point in time? Why no, no I would not. Hope it was worth nagging your customers to death in an attempt to drum up more (unwanted) business.

Ps. If I could call your CEO every 3 days and offer him special deals on his own product, I'd do just that.

• Dear BD, I am also about to cancel my subscription due to this annoying message that pops up and interferes with my work.

This shows the low-quality assurance you have for the products you sell and misleading clients.

• I'm sick of it. It not only pops up but takes mouse focus. Yes, I have disabled all notifications. I am not talking about within the app, I can tolerate recommendations there. It is the POP-UP from my taskbar that I don't want to see or have to dismiss. NO, it does come only once.

If it doesn't stop shortly, I will be moving along to another platform. (Of course, not any Russian company, but there are others).

• Another angry user here. Disabled ALL notification related settings that are hidden everywhere in BD. Even removed the browser extension. Still pops up this kind of messages. I don't care about in-application recommendation. The problem is the disturbing taskbar pop-ups. 🤬 🤬 🤬

There is no toggle switch in the @Alexandru_BD's screenshot to begin with, by the way.

• Gjoksi
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hello.

I just had a chat with Bitdefender Consumer Support about the Password Manager pop-up notification and here is the answer from Alberto M. (Support Agent):

"This notification was generated by a technical issue that will be fixed by Thursday 25th of August 2022."

Let's just hope on that day the issue with the notification will be really fixed for good.

Regards.

• Gjoksi
    Options
  • Mike_BD
    Options

Hello everyone,

The unwanted notifications were generated by a technical issue on our side and we rushed to address this in a fix, released to the whole user base on August 23rd 2022. We apologize for the inconveniences caused.

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• steveshank
    Options

It is nearly a year later. Is there any way to tell bitdefender I already have a password manager I'm happy with? I want to disable that recommendation.

The issue is really greater. I have many clients who are not computer experts. I've been putting the into Keepass or if they need passwords across devices Bitwarden. I don't want them using another new, not open source password manager that I haven't read reports on including full outside audits. I'm sure it is great if you didn't have a password manager, but I don't want my clients constantly being told to switch which is exactly how they'll interpret these recommendations. Why are they recommending a password manager when Keepass is open all day long (of Bitwarden for that matter).

Why is there no way to turn it off.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @steveshank,

Can you post a screenshot of the Password Manager recommendation so we know exactly which one is bothering you?

Regards

• Gjoksi
    Options

@steveshank

Hello.

That feature is called Autopilot.

"To offer you an effective operation and increased protection while carrying out different activities, Bitdefender Autopilot will act as your personal security advisor. Depending on the activity you perform, either you work, make online payments, watch movies, or play games Bitdefender Autopilot will come up with contextual recommendations based on your device usage and needs. The proposed recommendations may also be related to actions that you need to perform to keep your product working at its full capacity. To start using a suggested feature or make improvements into your product, click the corresponding button."

You can't disable or hide that feature and the recommendations you see in the program.

But, you can stop the pop-ups and the promotions, by following the steps below.

Open your Bitdefender program and go to:

1. Settings -> General and disable "Special offers" and "Recommendation notifications" (for the "Password Manager" notification)

2. Protection -> Antivirus -> Settings -> Scan flash drives and select "Autoscan" or "Disabled", do not select "Ask every time" (for the "USB Immunizer Recommendation" notification)

3. Protection -> Antivirus -> Settings -> Scan CD & DVD and select "Autoscan" or "Disabled", do not select "Ask every time" (for the "CD/DVD Recommendation" notification)

4. Privacy -> Safepay -> Settings and disable "Safepay notifications"

5. Privacy -> Video & Audio Protection -> Settings and disable "Notify when allowed applications connect to the webcam", "Notify when an application tries to access the microphone" and "Notify when browsers access the microphone"

6. Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and disable "Activate profiles automatically" (for the Profile notification)

After doing that, in the future no pop-up notifications will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen.

REMEMBER: When a threat is detected, a pop-up notification will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen and you can't disable those pop-up notifications.

Next, as an option to fully disable the Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups, open your Bitdefender program, go to Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and enable/activate "Work Profile" or "Game Profile".

When "Work Profile" or "Game Profile" is enabled/activated, all Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled.

Finally, as for the Bitdefender VPN pop-ups, you can simply uninstall Bitdefender VPN from your device by following the steps provided here (just select "Bitdefender VPN"):

or

open the Bitdefender VPN program, go to Settings -> Notifications and disable "Allow notifications".

It is recommended that you also review the privacy preferences set in your Bitdefender Central account:

1. On any internet-connected device launch a web browser, visit https://central.bitdefender.com and sign in to your Bitdefender Central account.

2. Click on your username in the top right corner and select "Bitdefender Account" in the menu. This option will launch in a new browser tab.

3. Access the "Data & Privacy" tab, then click on the "Privacy preferences" section.

4. Uncheck both boxes to stop promotional messages:

- Receive in product insights regarding threats, news, and offers.

- Receive insights regarding threats, news, and offers via email.

Regards.