Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Unscheduled scan runs 1Hr after system start-up (every time)

Options

Internet Defender (5 Device, 3Yr licence)

Windows 10 Pro (build 19043.1586)

Ryzen 5800x, 32GB RAM, 1xNVMe (OS), 1xSSD, 3xHDDs

I have already posted this fault on Reddit and also had some back and forth with email support. Someone else has replied on Reddit that they have the same issue, and we have both narrowed it down to being BitDefender (henceforth referred to as BD). The email support takes multiple days to get a reply and so far all Ive got back is try reinstalling – which I already did whilst waiting.

Exactly 1 hour after my system has booted into Windows, BD (more specifically bdservicehost.exe) begins a scan of all of my system drives which lasts about 10 minutes and then stops.

I have no scheduled scans set – never have. Nothing appears in the Notification tab, other than initially these scans coincided with system updates. BD system updates are set to 1 hour by default, but I have since changed it to 2 hours and the scans still occur after one hour (the update runs as it should later).

Just to get this out of the way, I have already reinstalled the client and later went as far as uninstalling it completely and installing it again fresh from a new download. When BD was completely uninstalled, I monitored my system and nothing occurred after one hour in terms of unusual disk access. Indicating to me that the scans are caused by BD alone.

The reason this is an issue to me, is because I have 3 high-capacity mechanical drives. These are all set to sleep after 20mins and two of them are slow archive drives that can be noisy when doing a lot of activity. I do not want these scans running every single time I turn on this system. I want control of this scan and the ability to choose when it occurs and what drives it can or cannot scan.

I captured video of my disk activity in Resource Monitor and so I am able to describe roughly what BD does during these scans:

vulnerability.scan.exe appears and reads CryptnetUrlCache

At the same time bdservicehost.exe begins reads of .dll files within the Windows System32 folder

tiworker.exe runs briefly and then bdservicehost.exe proceeds to read through the contents of all drives in my system (in alphabetical drive letter order)

As each drive scan is occurring, bdservicehost.exe is both reading and writing to the NTFS Master File Table file for the drive it is currently working through.

It takes about 10 minutes for BD to work its way through all my drives and files.

The last thing bdservicehost.exe does is read the System Volume Information on the boot drive.

The only thing I haven’t done, is run the uninstall tool which BD support sent me a link to. I’m not too keen on running this .exe file unless I really have to. At the very least I imagine this may wipe out my exceptions and preferences, but at worst it could wreck my system since it seems bugs in the BD client are not exactly unusual and so my trust in BD at the moment is not that strong.

If you have seen similar behaviour on your system I would really appreciate it if you could reply to this and share your experiences.

Internet Security (Paid), Windows10 Pro64, Ryzen7 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX3070, 5 internal storage drives, 2x ext hot-swap drives

Comments

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Ironbuket and welcome to the Community!

Based on your description of the situation encountered, I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams, as more information might be required to troubleshoot this. You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Stay safe.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user