Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Receiving multiple spams for weeks from Australian IP segment

Options

For several weeks, Bitdefender has not been catching multiple spam e-mails I've been receiving daily across 3 Yahoo-related e-mail accounts. Most of these originate from an IP segments in Australia, such as 40.107.138.117, 40.107.96.88 and 40.107.220.85. They are all pretty obviously spam, but keep getting through. I've reported hundreds to Bitdefender by selecting "is spam" in Outlook, to no avail. How do I escalate this issue to get it resolved? FYI - I've kept copies of most of them ...

Answers

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Doug_G,

If you are using a supported mail client – Outlook or Thunderbird -, you can easily add the senders of the spam messages to the Spammers list. This way you will stop all emails from that person or organization.

Follow these steps to block someone’s emails:

1. Open your email client.

2. Go to the Junk mail folder where spam messages are moved.

3. Select the messages marked as [spam] by Bitdefender.

4. Click the Add Spammer button on the Bitdefender antispam toolbar.

5. You may be asked to acknowledge the addresses added to the Spammers list. Select Don’t show this message again and click OK.

Alternatively, you can manually add spammers to the Spammers list from the Bitdefender interface. It is convenient to do this only when you have received several spam messages from the same e-mail address.

1. Click Protection on the left sidebar of the Bitdefender interface.

2. In the ANTISPAM pane, click Settings, then open the Manage Spammers tab. 

3. To add an email address, select the Email address option, enter the address using the syntax name@domain.com, and then click Add. You can add as many e-mail addresses as you want.

To delete an email address from the list, click the corresponding Trash can button next to it. To delete all entries from the list, click Clear List.

If the antispam toolbar is missing from Outlook, check the article below:

In the event you have followed the instructions above and the spam e-mails are still arriving, check the following article:

Let us know if the information was helpful.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Doug_G
    Options

Unfortunately, blocking based on the e-mail address of the sender is a rarely useful approach, since senders just make up sender and REPLY-TO addresses for each such spam.

I rely on Bitdefender to spot and block spam based on a number of factors, including e-mail address, but mostly on content and other items that appear frequently in spam. In my case, as mentioned earlier, the vast majority of my recent spam originated from an IP address range in Australia (per the headers in the e-mail), which I have yet to find a way to block based on IP alone. Apparently e-mail RULES don't look at the header content, which is the primary indication for this dirtbag.

The real question now is whether Bitdefender can/will block them. They are all very obviously spam, and all are being reported to Bitdefender. So you'd think after a month+, detection and blocking would have improved, but no such luck so far.

Does anyone know a way to block based on IP address within the headers?

• Note that If you mistakenly marked an email as spam, that message would automatically be tagged as [spam] and moved to your Spam folder. To undo the action select the message marked as SPAM by Bitdefender Antispam and then press the “Not Spam” button on the Antispam toolbar. This action indicates that the selected email is not spam and Bitdefender should not have tagged it. The email will be moved from the Spam folder back to the Inbox directory.

• Doug_G
    Options

That will be helpful in case I do mark an e-mail as spam erroneously, but that's a separate topic from my question.

Given that I've marked dozens / hundreds of obvious spam as spam, and the vast majority originate from the same IP range in Australia, that's two reasons why these should, by now, be caught by Bitdefender. but aren't. So I'm trying to determine how to help escalate these to someone at Bitdefender that can she some real light on why they aren't being caught, and what I can do to help get them identified and caught.

In this case, it would help if there was a way to block e-mails as spam if they originated from specific IP ranges as shown in the headers.so far, I can't find a way to do that in Outlook or in Bitdefender.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello,

@Doug_G I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams for ways to troubleshoot this. You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user