My wallet is not saving the data

TiLo
edited April 2022 in Privacy

Hi,

I tried to save some passwords for non webpage apps. Everytime I save them and I can see them but when the computer is restarted the entries are gone. Has anybody experienced similar and can help to solve this?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Hello @TiLo and welcome to the Community!

Are you using the Wallet or the new Password Manager? The Wallet is still displayed as Password Manager in the product, however, these are not the same and the Wallet settings will not be applied to the Password Manager standalone extension. The main difference is the multiplatform password synchronization. Password Manager is a standalone software compatible with Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS, while the Wallet is a password manager module with basic functionality that comes with our paid security solutions Bitdefender Antivirus Plus, Bitdefender Internet Security, Bitdefender Total Security. The Wallet is available only on Windows and does not work on Mac, Android, or iOS devices.

Wallet integrates with the following Windows browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Bitdefender Safepay. Unlike Password Manager, the Wallet does not offer master password recovery options: if you forget your Master Password you lose all your passwords. Wallet functions are limited to autosave & autofill, auto-lock, and a password generator. You can import data from other password management applications only in .db and .csv format.

On the other hand, Password Manager works with Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Safari across Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. If you forget your master password, you can always reset it and regain access to your data. It has a plethora of bonus features that increase your privacy: autosave & autofill, password generator, password quality check, search & delete password duplicates, (un)hide passwords as you type them, security reports, password leak alert, secure notes, remote logout, biometric unlock on mobile devices. You can import data from other password management applications in multiple formats: csv, json, xml, txt, 1pif, fsk.

Let us know if the information is helpful.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hello Alexandru,

I am using the wallet as part of the Total Security package and not the password manager. In the wallete you can save also passwords for applications. I am not looking for a total connection between the application and the wallet, but would rather like to have a place were I can just save my different passwords, so I don`t need to have them in my head all the time or have to ask for a password reset everytime I log in.

I am using a Windows system, and the passwords for my online accounts are saved. However, every time I save the passwords for desktop applications in the wallet, what I assume is the purpose of the tab applciations, they are gone when the computer is started again. I don`t know why this is and how I can change this.

Thanks!

• Hello @TiLo,

There are several reasons why this might occur. To address the issue, follow the troubleshooting steps below.

1. Unsupported browser

What web browser do you use? Currently, only these four web browsers are officially supported by Bitdefender Wallet:

• Internet Explorer

Mozilla Firefox

Google Chrome

Safepay

If you are using another browser, the wallet will not work.

2. Wallet module is turned off

The Wallet module from Bitdefender is in charge with the wallet functionality. To turn the Password Manager ON:

• Click Privacy on the navigation menu on the Bitdefender interface.

• In the PASSWORD MANAGER pane, turn on the switch.

3. Wallet extension is not installed

If the Bitdefender Wallet extension is not installed in your browser, the module will not be able to autosave and autofill the login information.

To fix this situation, follow these steps:

In Internet Explorer

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. Click the small cogwheel in the upper right hand corner (Tools).

3. Click Manage add-ons.

4. Click Toolbars and Extensions.

5. Point to Bitdefender Wallet and click Enable.

6. Close, then open again Internet Explorer.

In Mozilla Firefox

1. Open Mozilla Firefox.

2. Access the Menu icon in the upper right hand corner.

3. Click Add-ons.

4. Click Extensions.

6. Close, then open again Mozilla Firefox.

In Google Chrome

1. Open Google Chrome.

2. Access the Menu icon in the upper right hand corner.

3. Click More Tools.

4. Click Extensions.

6. Close, then open again Google Chrome.

Now check if the autofill feature in Wallet works for your online accounts.

4. No wallet database

A Wallet database must exist, to securely store the login information. You need to create a Wallet database as follows:

1. Click Privacy on the navigation menu on the Bitdefender interface.

2. In the PASSWORD MANAGER pane, click Settings.

3. In the My Wallets tab, click Add wallet, then select Create new.

4. Type the required information in the corresponding fields.

• Wallet label – type a unique name for your Wallet database

• Master Password – type a password for your Wallet

• Hint – type a hint to remember the password

5. Click CONTINUE.

6. At this step you can choose to store your information in the cloud, by activating the switch next to Sync across all my devices. Choose the desired option, then click CONTINUE.

7. Select the web browsers you want to import credentials from.

8. Click FINISH.

5.  Check Autofill settings

You may have changed the default wallet settings. If that is the case, it is possible that the auto-fill was turned off. Turning on the settings may resolve the issue you are facing:

1. Click Privacy on the navigation menu on the Bitdefender interface.

2. In the PASSWORD MANAGER pane, click Settings.

3. Access the Settings tab.

4. Select the option Save credentials automatically in Wallet.

5. Switch ON:

• Autofill login credentials

• Autofill forms

6. Credentials include banking details

For privacy reasons, Bitdefender wallet does not autosave & autofill usernames and passwords that include:

• Bank Account Number

• Credit card number

• Card PIN / CVV security number

• Digital Pass

• Other bank account / credit card information

You can manually add this information in the Bitdefender wallet under the Online banking tab, but the wallet will not autofill them in.

I hope the information is helpful.

• Hi Alexandru,

I am sorry, but why do I need to have the Browser included in this problem if I just want to use the wallet for saving passwords that I am using in non online apps and therefore the Browser will not be used at all? I don`t want to use the autofill possibility, all I want is to save passwords, for example for encrypted files, look at them if needed and type them in myself. So I really don`t understand what my Browser, I am using Firefox by the way, has to do with the problem that my wallet, which is switched on and includes a database, not actually saving the passwords.

Thanks!

Tim

• Hello @TiLo,

I think the engineers could better explain the reasoning behind this and how the Wallet and Password Manager operate in more advanced technical terms. Of course, they also need to take a closer look at the device and wallet configuration, to advise accordingly. My recommendation would be to get in touch with the Support Teams by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

• Surely this must work in Edge as most W10 users use it as opposed to Firefox.

Wish I had known that before buying Bitdefender...or am I missing something

• How odd

I seem t have set up logins and card details in firefox then they work in Edge ?????