Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender On Windows 10 Full System Scan Taking 40 Hours

Options

I have a Dell Optiplex 3050 (DESKTOP-EL571SA) running windows 10. Have just installed Bitdefender Plus and removed old antivirus, and have started a full system scan. Though the fs scan is also scanning my Passport back up as well, the scan is still running 40 hours later. My system may not be the fasted admittedly (8Gig ram) and neither is it the slowest.

It seems that 40 hours suggests that something is not right.

Any advice?

Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hello.

Open your Bitdefender program, go to Protection -> Antivirus -> Open -> Scans -> System Scan, click on the three dots ••• button on the right next to System Scan, click on "Edit", change the "Scan task priority" to "High", click "Next" and "Save".

Also, do the same steps for "Quick Scan", change the "Scan task priority" to "High".

Keep in mind that these kind of a scans will consume more resources (RAM and CPU) than the scans with "Auto" or "Low" priority.

From my personal experience, the System Scan is 30 - 50 files per second and it takes 25 - 30 minutes to scan the whole system of 95 GB, including the Windows files, program files, data files (documents, pistures, videos) etc.

Laptop: Asus X551CA

Purchased: April 2014

Specs: Intel Core i3-3217U 1.8GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 4GB DDR3

Hardware change: November 2018, 500GB HDD -> 120GB SATA-III SSD

If changing the scan task priority didn't help, you should do the following:

-- STEP 1 --

Repair Bitdefender, by following these steps:

-- STEP 2 --

If the instructions from Step 1 didn't help, uninstall the Bitdefender program using the Uninstall Tool:

It will completely remove the program.

Next, reinstall Bitdefender from your Bitdefender Central account and see if the issue has been solved, as reinstalling the program usually solves the issues.

-- STEP 3 --

If the instructions from Step 2 didn't help, follow the instructions in this step.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue

and create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log file you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log file will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @MMMundy and welcome to the Community!

In addition to Gjoksi's insightful post above, it is important to check if the device meets the minimum system requirements, as a first step. System performance may be affected on devices that have old generation CPUs. If present, other security solutions should be uninstalled from the device when using Bitdefender, as there might be a conflict between them. The scan time depends on the number of files and it is not linear. The speed of a System Scan also depends on many factors such as system specifications, large volumes of data, the computer resources in use by another software, if it’s the first scan since installing Bitdefender, and most importantly, the number of archives & over-compressed files/backups.

With every system scan, Bitdefender will index the files that have already been scanned, and the scan time will greatly decrease.

More useful information regarding scan time can be found in the article below:

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I am really grateful to both of you for your advice. Both pieces make absolute sense....

Will get back to you in a couple of days

@mmundy

• Not particularly satisfactory conclusion...

Contacted Bitdefender who insisted that 21 hours to scan 1440633 files was normal. Blaming it on size of files (though I suspect my system and file makeup is pretty normal for most people) also saying that I must have been scanning with back up disc connected. It wasn't. It was scanned separately.

Hey ho.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @MMMundy,

If it's the first scan, it's not something unusual. The speed of a system scan depends on many factors, such as system specifications, large volumes of data, the computer resources in use by another software, if it’s the first scan since installing Bitdefender, and most importantly, the number of archives & over-compressed files/backups. With every system scan, Bitdefender will index the files that have already been scanned, and the scan time will greatly decrease.

For future reference, you can also customize the scans. Try these settings and see how they fit. This is part of my advanced antivirus setup:

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user