Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Engine Using Only E-Cores, Not P-Cores Is Slow. Any Ideas?

Options

So I just noticed that, even after a reinstall I did (due to the FPS-problem, but that's a different story) that the scanner on my Raptor Lake CPU is using only the E-Cores, not the full performance P-Cores. Paired with a M.2-SSD the result is that this is the main reason for the time the scan takes.

So if the scanner would use all cores (or at least switch to the P-Cores for the FULL SYSTEM SCAN) the time for the full system scan could be reduced.

In comparison, my second opinion scanner "Emsisoft Emergency" uses all Cores and scans extremely fast on the same system.

This is just a suggestion, nothing too critical, just something that could boost reception of the product on the market. I'm a big fan and would love to see BD improving even more. ✌️

Best Answer

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @CoDgerry

Your post had me intrigued. I can tell you right up-front you are a lot more of an advanced user than I am, as I never even thought to check something like that out.

On my lowly little laptop, using HWINFO64, I noticed that if I increased the performance option in Windows in Power Mode from Better performance to Best, it seemed like it was utilizing all the cores more consistently. It probably doesn't help speed up the scan itself, correct, but just using more processing power to run the scan?

And running a Custom scan in High Priority mode probably does not utilize the cores more, but as this article says for the initial System Scan, lets Bitdefender use more resources to help speed the scan along.

What benchmarking software are you using?

Kind regards, and willing to learn :)

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

This is question and/or suggestion that should be addressed to @camarie, who works for Bitdefender as Principal Software Developer.

So, we should wait for his reply. :)

Kind regards.

• CoDgerry
    Options

@Scott Thank you very much, that is a great, useful tip! I never even considered that option, because in my experience it did nothing in the past. (I was coming from an AMD system where the custom power plan was faster than the high performance mode)

I guess if people want to let the scan run in the background, this behaviour in the balanced power plan might even be the better option for them.

Anyways, in my case the solution you provided did speed up the scan, which is what I was trying to achieve, so I am very thankful for your answer. 🙏

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    Options

@CoDgerry

Thank you for the kind words and for finding the post helpful. Again, I appreciated you starting this thread, as I never thought to check things in that way before (P and E core performance), as it may also help others who see this thread :)

Cheers,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• CoDgerry
    Options

I wanted to add / clarify something:

In my thank-you-comment I falsely talked about power plans. That was not precise. The power plan was still balanced and not the problem. It was the performance mode in the "new" settings.

Scott described the solution correctly, I did not.

I apologize for the possible confusion I caused to people potentially looking up this post. I'm trying my best to translate from my language to English.

Again: It is NOT the power plans but the performance mode.