Is There A Way To Get Bitdefender To Detect A Virus On A System Besides The Normal Scans?

Is There A Way To Get Bitdefender To Detect A Virus On A System Besides The Normal Scans?

Answers

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited March 2023

Hi @Jack Watts

Bitdefender also monitors in the background for malware, apart from a scan.

From this article:

The real-time protection included in Bitdefender

Bitdefender Shield, the real-time protection feature included in our security software, provides continuous protection against a wide range of malware threats by scanning all accessed files and e-mail messages. The default real-time protection settings ensure good protection against malware, with a minor impact on system performance. Bitdefender will, for example, scan a Word document for known threats when you open it, and an e-mail message when you receive one.

Also, is the Advanced Threat Defense module working in the background.

From this article:

What is Bitdefender Advanced Threat Defense?

Advanced Threat Defense is Bitdefender’s innovative take on detecting ransomware and zero-day threats in real time using advanced heuristic methods. This method is different from traditional malware detection, which involves identifying malware using the virus signature database.

How does Bitdefender Advanced Threat Defense work?

Bitdefender Advanced Threat Defense continuously monitors the applications and processes running on your computer. It monitors suspicious activities such as copying files to important Windows operating system folders, executing or injecting code into other processes, multiplying them, changing the Windows registry, or installing drivers.

Each action is scored, and every process receives a danger score. If the overall score for a process reaches a certain threshold, Bitdefender makes the decision to block that application that 99% of the time turns out to be malware. Thanks to the score-based rating system, the number of false positive detections is very low and the detection of threats, even if they are very new, is extremely effective.

So be assured, Bitdefender is constantly working in the background, as well as with our scans.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Sorry , Bitdefender does not seem to be picking up this problem i'am have, with my browser opening without

any input from me at different times, seems to happen more when iam offline than when iam online, especially

when iam gaming more than any other time.

I've done a number of full system scans nothing shows up !

Here is a screen shot of the page when it opens !!

• Scott
    edited March 2023

Hi @Jack Watts

That looks more like an issue with an infected browser rather than the PC itself.

I would follow these steps to reset and clear Firefox as well as your temp folders.

From the keyboard, hit the Windows key and R which will open up the Run box.

in the Run box, type "temp" (no parentheses) then enter, and delete all the files that you can.

Next, do the same with %temp% and then with prefetch.

Then, refresh and reset Firefox, by following these steps:

Mozilla Firefox - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings

Restart your PC and run a Bitdefender System scan and see if that resolved it.

Otherwise, you can follow these steps that more detailed and thorough provided by Gjoksi, including the support steps towards the bottom if needed.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Hi @Jack Watts,

Indeed, that is most likely unwanted adware and browser redirects. In addition to the insightful posts above, I would recommend this article as well:

Bitdefender does not seem to be picking up this problem i'am have - i think it doesn't pick it because this doesn't appear to be malware, ransomware or something potentially dangerous to your device, but rather an annoyance. Follow the recommended steps and you will get rid of the problem surely.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Guilhermesene
    Guilhermesene Defender of the month ✭✭✭

Good comment @Scott, it's always good to know how AV works under the covers and even to understand how its mechanism works.

Knowledge is never too much 😉

• Scott

Thank you for the kind word :) Yep, ignorance is not always bliss ;) :)