Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Security for malicious content on websites

Options

Hello,

I have Bitdefender Internet Security installed on my computer.

Currently, two features namely Online Threat Prevention and Bitdefender Anti-Tracker addon are provided for secure browsing. Online Threat Prevention blocks complete websites which are dangerous and Bitdefender Anti-Tracker blocks trackers.

But what about malicious content other than trackers? Does Online Threat Prevention block malicious ads/cookies/pop-ups/scripts etc from running? OR one would have to rely on separate addons for that?

Thank you.

Comments

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Solarr,

The Online Threat Prevention security module ensures a safe browsing experience by alerting you about potential malicious webpages. Bitdefender provides real-time online threat prevention for:

Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, Bitdefender Safepay™ and Opera.

The Web attack prevention blocks threats coming from the internet, including drive-by downloads.

I think what you have described falls into the adware category. The below article may answer your questions concerning browser ads, intrusive pop-up adverts, and browser redirects.

Regarding the blocking of malicious activity, the Advanced Threat Defense security module continuously monitors the applications and processes running on your computer. It monitors suspicious activities such as copying files to important Windows operating system folders, executing or injecting code into other processes, multiplying them, changing the Windows registry, or installing drivers. With the Advanced Threat Defense module enabled, even the most sophisticated attacks are blocked in real-time before the malware actually reaches the computer.

I hope the information is helpful.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

Additionally, you can also install the Bitdefender Anti-Tracker extension, and you can find details from the link stated below:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/28481/

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Solarr
    Solarr
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thank you for your replies Alexandru_BD and Flexx.

I will try to differentiate "malicious content" from something that is "unwanted".

Malicious content (or harmful content) can be something that tracks you, steals your username and password, executes malware etc.

Unwanted (or intrusive) can be something like annoying pop-up, browser redirect etc but not harmful.

If the Bitdefender modules: Online Threat Prevention, Advanced Threat Defense, Bitdefender Anti-Tracker addon etc can block all "malicious content" then there is no need to install any other addons in a browser. (Waiting for a confirmation from someone - it would be very helpful)

To block something that is "unwanted" it is left to the user to install addons for it.

Personally, I was using ublock origin for many years until recently when I came to know that it blocks video ads on youtube which I think are acceptable ads. Hence it maybe blocking acceptable ads on other websites. Adblock plus does have an Acceptable Ads initiative so that websites can earn from acceptable ads but it is subjective to classify which ads are acceptable. Adblock plus also blocks video ads on youtube by default (as far as I have tested, correct me if wrong). As long as Bitdefender modules block all "malicious content" I am fine without using an Ad-blocker or any other Content-blocker.

I would also like to ask whether Bitdefender provides real-time online threat prevention for portable browsers? As of now, I have a Mozilla Firefox portable and a Google Chrome portable browser.

Thank you.

• Solarr
    Options

Thank you Alexandru_BD for your comprehensive answer.