Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Overzealous webcam protection

Options

I've had to turn off webcam protection altogether, because even though I've specified that Discord should be allowed to access my webcam, Bitdefender blocks it every single time I try to start my camera in that application. If I specify that a program should be allowed to access my webcam, shouldn't that mean something?

Comments

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@AmbroseHoneysuckle ,

Welcome to the Bitdefender Forums. Have you checked the Bitdefender Privacy Settings for your webcam? Note that the first tab labelled "Webcam access" only relates to applications permitted to access the webcam. Discord is usually browser-driven, so you need to make sure that the third tab, "Settings," is properly configured.

I have inserted a screenshot of my configuration. I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• I'm not using Discord on the web. I'm using the stand-alone application.

These two screen shots are where my settings were before I shut off webcam protection in frustration:

I notice you have community choice turned on. I used to have it turned on, but I turned it off because it seemed that "community choice" was not to let Discord use my camera. Unfortunately, that didn't help.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited February 2
    Options

Hello @AmbroseHoneysuckle,

This is obviously not the expected behavior and I understand your frustration. Normally, I would advise a clean reinstall, but I have a feeling that this will not solve the problem. To establish a proper diagnosis, a support tool log + screenshot from webcam access screen would be required by the Support engineers. Head to the link below for instructions on how to generate the support tool log:

This tool is used by the Bitdefender engineers to diagnose and troubleshoot product issues on Windows computers. The tool gathers logs and product usage information, necessary for further investigation.

Once you have this, go to the link below to get in touch with them:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Scroll down to state your contact reason, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

Later edit: - "community choice" means that if the majority of Bitdefender users consider a popular app as being harmless, then its access to the webcam will be automatically set to Allow. If an app is considered dangerous by the many, then its access will be automatically set to Blocked. Since Discord is widely used, I doubt leaving this setting ON would prevent webcam access.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user