Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Re-captha-version-3-58.top adware

Options
c_moon
c_moon Re-captha-version-3-58.top adware

I've just been infected with the above. Bitdefender Total Security didn't prevent it and didb't detect it it when I did a quick scan. Isn't this the sort of thing Bitdefender is suppose to protect against? I've found an article which involves using Malwarebytes to remove the offending software so I will use this. Disappointed that I have to use something other than Bitdefender, though. Have I misunderstood what Bitdefender can do?

Thanks

Comments

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@c_moon ,

Welcome to the Bitdefender Forums. Adware is primarily classed as "nuisance" software. Some people actually deliberately download it, or it comes from a "bundled" download of a program they want.

@Alexandru_BD , the Forum Administrator, can correct me if I am mistaken, but Bitdefender primarily focuses on malware that can damage or steal your data or harm your computer.

Personally, I have several lifetime licences to the Premium version of the software you mentioned. I have run both BD and that product side-by-side for years now. You just have to configure the correct "exceptions" in both programs so that they play nicely in the same sandbox. 😉

Computer security is all about "layers of protection," safe computing practices, and, most importantly, a robust backup strategy.

That other product claims to be a legitimate anti-virus program, but it is NOT. It is not even listed as an anti-virus program by AV-Comparatives, one of the legitimate and well-respected testers of anti-virus programs. You might be interested in this link where, once again, Bitdefender excelled.

If I had to choose one or the other, I would always choose Bitdefender. Its protection is very comprehensive, but it does not detect some nuisance adware that is often just a browser extension that the user can easily remove, despite claims to the contrary by companies looking for your money.

I do not work for Bitdefender. I am just a frequent participant in these Forums.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @c_moon,

To add here, Bitdefender cannot take any direct measures related to this adware, because this is not an infection per se. As garioch pointed out, adware is usually bundled with something that you agreed on, or something you enabled, like site setting, site notification, redirects in your browser or installed toolbars, extensions or applications. So, Bitdefender cannot override such preferences. Of course, in the event the adware redirects you to a malicious page, Bitdefender will block it. It is also important to mention that adware falls into two categories: legitimate and dangerous.

I recommend Ublock Origin to block ads, I also recommend using the Bitdefender Anti tracker extension, to stop tracking cookies. A browser reset and removing unwanted extensions from it should be enough as this adware is usually browser related.

Here you can find more context about adware and how to avoid and eliminate it:

I hope the information is useful.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited February 7
    Options

Have a look at below stated link

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/re-captha-version-3-58-top-malware/

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• c_moon
    c_moon Re-captha-version-3-58.top adware
    Options

Thank you all for responding so clearly. I have a much better idea of the boundaries now. I've used Bitdefender for several years so I am glad that it continues to be the AV to use.

Many thanks.

Nigel