Cannot Delete Recovered File

After manually restoring a quarantined file that I know to be safe, I can no longer delete it. I am told that I need administrator permission, even though I am the only user on this device and can use administrator permissions elsewhere.

Not even bitdefender's file shredder works here. The folder is already listed in BD's exceptions. How do I delete this?

Comments

• Hello @Denning,

If you are using an admin account and still get this message, I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams, as more information might be required to troubleshoot this. I'm unsure why this happens. You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact channels listed here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Scroll down to state your contact reason, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

Let us know what was causing this.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Denning
    edited February 15

I'm not interested in pursuing this further since this was causing a repeated hassle and making what I was doing impossible, so I've removed Bitdefender already - but if anyone stumbles on to this in the future, since I've seen this question asked but not answered, changing the name of the folder the file is in, or the folder that folder is in, can sometimes let you delete the whole lot and start over. Once you do that, you might be able to rename the actual file and then delete/modify it. If that doesn't work, I've searched around and messing around with permissions in the file's/folder's settings might work, or disabling inheritance and/or adding yourself into the permissions. It seems imprecise and everyone had a different solution, so keep going. Regardless, even if you add an exception and restore it, Bitdefender will quarantine the same file every single time it's downloaded, so if you need to download then modify something that BF incorrectly marks as harmful you're out of luck. This was more damaging than some malware, and it's concerning that BF can just lock whatever it wants and remove all permissions.

• chiliNUT
    edited May 24

having the same issue. no issues with BitDefender for years, but now I'm also considering switching. This has been a huge hassle to properly re-own/delete the file that BitDefender ate.

If it helps future readers:

The Acl string from icacls reported for the broken file is

D:(A;;FA;;;SY)(A;;FA;;;BA)(A;;FA;;;S-1-5-21-3854095352-522523328-1234763740-1001)S:PAINO_ACCESS_CONTROL

while the other files in the folder have

D:(A;;FA;;;SY)(A;;FA;;;BA)(A;;FA;;;S-1-5-21-3854095352-522523328-1234763740-1001)

However, I couldn't get further than that since I was getting permission denied when trying to run icacls to restore the permissions on the file

I was able to delete it by rescanning it after the quarantine and using BitDefender to delete it. However, it still leaves some garbage behind because I get permission denied when trying to create a new file with the same name in that folder.