Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Help! Bitdefender resets my file modified dates when it runs

Options

I installed bitdefender antivirus plus on my windows pc last week and every time I run a scan, all the file modified dates change. This is troubling as I frequently use the dates to find the files I’m looking for. Is there a way to prevent this or is this a feature of the software that can’t be avoided?

Thanks for any assistance

Ken

Comments

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @onewombat,

That's normal, Bitdefender will access the folders in order to scan them. I'm unaware of a way to go around this..

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I'm having the same issue.

To @Alexandru_BD's comment, accessing files is different than modifying them. The "Date modified" field in Windows only gets updated when the OS is told that the file is edited. Opening and reading a file does not necessarily edit it.

I think it's fair to assume that the Bitdefender scan isn't actually editing all my files as it scans them, but the problem is that it's telling the OS it's editing them, so the "Date modified" timestamps frequently get updated. This is particularly annoying for the files that I have backed up to OneDrive, since it tries to re-sync hundreds of thousands of "changed" files after every Bitdefender scan.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi @MindlessLump and thanks for joining us here.

I think this requires a closer look, you could be on to something here. May I suggest contacting the Support teams for a more informed opinion? They should be able to offer assistance here. You can get in touch with the Bitdefender engineers by choosing one of the contact channels listed here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

State your contact reason, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

Let us know how it goes, I'm curious if there are ways to prevent this from happening.

Thanks,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user