Unmatching Security Certificates

Options

I've asked this question recently, but the answer I received doesn't answer my actual question:

With some sites that I've visited in the past, and bookmarked, I'm now receiving this warning message from Bitdefender: "Your connection to this web page is not safe due to an unmatching security certificate. This means that the certificate was issued for a different web address than the one it is being used for, and you run the risk of exposing your data by accessing this page."

1) With sites that do not offer products for sale, and which do not solicit any financial information, what personal data of mine can be exposed or compromised by continuing and visiting such sites?

2) I'm also receiving the same warnings from vendors who I know are reputable. I've visited and bought from them successfully in the past, with all transactions taking place through PayPal. What personal data might be exposed through PayPal transactions?

Thanks in advance for any replies! Without any further information from the Bitdefender community, I don't know how much I should rely on these unmatching security certificate warnings.

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

Have a look at below stated link if it helps

https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/98287/when-unmatching-security-certificate-is-issued-how-can-i-verify-that-the-website-is-safe

The warning messages about unmatching security certificates are important to consider because they indicate that the connection to the website may not be secure. Here’s what you need to know:

1. Visiting sites with unmatching security certificates: Even on sites that don’t handle financial transactions, personal data like usernames, passwords, email addresses, and browsing history can be exposed if the connection isn’t secure. Attackers could intercept this data, so it’s wise to be cautious.
    2. Warnings from reputable vendors: For transactions through PayPal, the service itself is secure, but if the vendor’s site has certificate issues, it could compromise the security of the transaction. It’s possible for login credentials and transaction details to be exposed. It’s best to contact the vendor to resolve these issues before proceeding.

To address certificate warnings, you can use SSL verification tools and ensure your antivirus and browser are up-to-date. Avoid entering personal information on sites with certificate errors, and reach out to your VPN provider for advice on avoiding IP flagging by Google. Always use VPN services responsibly.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Very insightful info @Flexx. 👍️

@mindenroses whenever a website has a valid HTTPS certificate, the site domain is verified to match the name on the certificate, and the connection to the website is encrypted. In other words, the information exchanged between you and that domain is not in clear text, but encrypted. Unsafe domains are external links to websites that do not have a security certificate issued by a trusted certificate authority, have an unmatching or expired security certificate, and could contain phishing, malware, or unwanted software.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user