Ping/Lag with gaming

Hi, Is Bitdefender at all interfering with my gaming? I have a terrible lag with an online game.

Thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited May 22

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hello @Ivor Growns,

In addition to @Flexx's advice to enable the Game Profile that will help minimize the impact on system performance by suspending non-critical notifications and scans while you are gaming, you can also add your games and gaming platforms to Bitdefender's exclusion settings. Here's how to do that:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/13427/

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2393/

This may also help (in the event you don't notice a significant difference in gameplay after configuring the Game Profile, but there should be one). I recommend adding these exceptions, especially for the antivirus scan, because the software continuously scans files and processes in real-time, which can consume CPU and disk resources, and this could be one of the causes for lag when playing. The game files may also be scanned as they are being accessed or downloaded, leading to delays. So it's a good practice to exclude those from scanning (in the event the game is safe to play and there are no security concerns, ofc).

Network monitoring can also play an important role, so the firewall may also cause latency issues, that's worth checking as well. (disable / enable the firewall and check how the game performs with both setups).

You can of course use Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) to check if Bitdefender is consuming a lot of CPU, memory, or disk resources while you are gaming. If it is, consider adjusting the settings as instructed above.

Let us know what worked for you and what game are you playing, if I may ask. 🙂

I hope the information is helpful.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Thanks for the replies, but no that did not work noticeably. My ping was 340ms before and about the same after I tried adding those exclusions. I am playing Armored Warfare using Steam.

• Hi @Ivor Growns,

Sorry to hear this. Try to temporarily disable the Advanced Threat Defense module and check if there's any improvement afterwards. I suspect this module may play a part in this lag. Since you are playing online, the Online Threat Prevention module is worth checking as well. Simply turn them OFF/ON and see if the gameplay improves.

Given the outcome of our previous instructions here, I think this needs a more advised opinion and I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams, as more information might be required to troubleshoot this. You can get in touch with the Bitdefender engineers by choosing one of the contact channels listed here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

State your contact reason, / choose request category, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user