What exactly is Gen:Variant.Tedy.540066

I searched on google and i didnt find anything.

Answers

• Hello @AskerSbv,

The detection name is used to identify a specific type of malware. It's a naming convention that indicates that Bitdefender has identified a potential threat that is a variant of a known malware family. 'Generic' suggests that the detection is based on a general signature or behavior pattern rather than a specific known malware instance. Malware authors often create new variants of their software to evade detection, so the 'variant' component indicates to what malware family it belongs. 'Tedy' is the name assigned by Bitdefender to this particular type of malware. The digits at the end of the string represent the unique identifier assigned to this specific variant of the malware.

In a nutshell, generic detections are used to identify new variants of known malware by looking for patterns or behaviors that are common among these variants. This allows the software to catch new threats that have not yet been individually identified.

Being flagged as 'Gen:Variant.Tedy.540066' suggests that the file exhibits characteristics commonly associated with malware, though it might not be a known malware sample. It could be a new or modified version of an existing threat. When Bitdefender finds an infection on your computer, it usually takes automatic action against it and gets rid of the malware without requiring any input on your side. You can run a system scan to check for any other potential threats or related files. Here's a guideline on what to do when Bitdefender finds an infection:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2576/

I hope the information is helpful.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• @ Alex - I have been working with HR Block tech support. An update for the state program was flagged and this error was received. Thoughts on whether or not this was a false positive? I've been spending a lot of time now and can't get my software updated.

• Hello @Maugan Ra,

Well, this is actually an older thread, but can you tell me if you are getting the same detection as above? To find out if this is a false positive case, you can submit a sample to the Bitdefender Labs using the form available at the link below:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/29358/

Once confirmed, false alarms are corrected within hours.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user