BD2017 blocks my email

I just installed BitDefender Total Security 2017 on my Windows 10 computer. Instantly my Thunderbird email client lost the ability to either send or receive emails.  I disabled the BD Antispam Toolbar in Thunderbird, but the only thing that allows me to send or receive emails is to completely disable Bitdefender real-time protection, which of course is not good. 

I checked Bitdefender Firewall settings, it shows thunderbird.exe as "allow".

What do I need to do?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hello,

Please contact our support team via [email protected] with the logs from the Bitdfender Support Tool attached.

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-generate-a-support-log--1168.html

Please also provide them with a screenshot if Thunderbird is giving any error messages.

• I tried the Bitdefender "repair" option (under Windows control panel uninstall options) and that did not seem to change anything.  In desperation I tried changing security settings for my pop servers in Thunderbird, and found that for one of my servers, changing security from SSL/TLS to STARTTLS allowed them to work.  But nothing helped my Gmail popmail accounts in Thunderbird.  Until today when I let Windows 10 go ahead and apply the Creators Update.  After that, with no more changes, my Gmail popmail accounts began working again.  So, I don't know why it got fixed, but all the components seem to be playing well together again, so I'm ok.

• Hello,

I'm glad to hear that the situation has been resolved.

• On 4/22 my problem started again: Thunderbird could not retrieve my Gmail while Bitdefender was active.  Again, nothing that I tried helped.

Today, 4/24, I had a Bitdefender notification that an update required a restart to complete.  After that, all is well!  Seems like a good update!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.