New Bitdefender Update Blocks WidevineCDM Encryption Module on Firefox

This afternoon, my BitDefender client updated it's threat database (engine version 7.82356) and notified me in the notifications of the security center. However, after this update, I tried to open and watch Netflix on Firefox Quantum (Version 69.0.1), to which I received a banner notification within Firefox that stated "WidevineCMD Plugin has crashed." I attempted to research the issue, and found a thread on the Mozilla forms that detailed the exact same issue two months ago. The thread came to the conclusion that BitDefender's protection shield was blocking the Widevine module from working properly, so I tried disabling Advanced Threat Defense in the security center. Sure enough, both the test video on the Mozilla form and Netflix started to work again. It appears in the new update, the same bug that stopped WideVine from working two months ago is back, so I wanted to make this forum post to let the developers know. I am running Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763 and Malwarebytes version 3.8.3.2965 as a second opinion scanner with component package version 1.625. If anyone requires any more system specs, I will be happy to provide.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.