Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Recent failure to act on a B-AV threat detection- false report of deletion?

Options

Here's what happened on a recent threat deletion by BitDefender AntiVirus (B-AV) for Mac...

B-AV found a threat and said it deleted it, reported same, once) failed to in fact delete the threat. The threat was a spam email piece, tagged as "SPAM" by my server, came to my Inbox and was moved by SpamSieve to my Junk Folder. So it was never opened.

BAV report: "An infected file attempted to run on your device.

Threat name: Trojan.GenericKD.33914294

Path: /Users/bubba/Library/Mail/V7/34AE6827-DDA2-45DA-A900-D34DB30E6571/INBOX.mbox/Junk.mbox/0B23046C-DF1A-47A0-A078-9D270CA87E77/Data/0/3/5/1/Messages/1530834.emlx=>[Subject: ***SPAM*** Invoice PAID/Receipt][Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 14:32:44 +0100]=>Sales_Receipt_8869_05272020.xlsm

We deleted the file to prevent malicious commands from being executed on your device."

I search all reports. So I found that the file and it's attachment supposedly deleted by B-AV. It was still there in the exact spot indicated, not deleted. I was able to move the detected virus laden message and it's attached file to trash.

It's not so much that B-AV failed to detect (false positive), rather it's a Failed Action to eliminate the threat that is my complaint. I get these kinds of messages via email and filter them into a junk mailbox and never open. The second tier deletion by B-AV fails. I won't renew my service. Thought you'd like to know.

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi Member

It might be possible that there might be a bug issue with the product (assumption)

Since the forum only provides limited support, I request you to kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com regarding your issue .Response may be delayed due to less staff and covid19. Rest be assured, they will reply back asap.

If this helps, kindly mark answer as agree/ accepted

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Jayakrishnan
    Options

Hello @Henry_In_Florida ,

Greeting !

• Even if you haven’t manually opened the infected email, BAV can scan it and check for any infections (BAV is always ON)
    • And regarding the malware removal, there are chances that BAV removed the malicious content from the file, keeping the original file (without malware) back in the mailbox. You can get full details of this malware detection in the bitdefender interface - reports sections
    • And if you find this detection was a false positive, you can always report the same to bitdefender team

If you find my response helpful, please mark it as accepted / agree.

Thanks and regards,