Bitdefender Antivirus Free not opening after reinstall

I uninstalled Bitdefender's free antivirus today through windows, then reinstalled through the installer on the website. After completion, the antivirus isn't showing in my system tray, in my task manager processes, and I can't seem to open the program anywhere. It ran just fine before uninstalling. What can I do?

If it affects anything, I did happen to disable the protection through the program's settings before I uninstalled.

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

@Violet23

Okay, so we need to go into safe mode now, to solve this issue.

1) Uninstall bitdefender agent and bitdefender free antivirus

2) Restart pc in safe mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode)

3) As soon as desktop opens, assuming your windows drive is C, open below things in run command one by one :

C:\Program Files (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Program Files (x86) (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\ProgramData (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Users\{your pc name}\AppData\Local (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

4) Open run command again and run below command one by one :

temp ,delete all the files in the folder

%temp% ,delete all the files in folder

prefetch ,delete all the files in folder

5) Restart your pc in general mode by unticking the option that you selected to run the system in safe mode and then click apply.

6) Try reinstalling bitdefender free

Keep posted.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Thank you, Flexx. After trying your steps, I tried the installer again. It got through the download window, unpacked some files, then gave me a small window saying:

install error

cannot copy installer

ok

What can I do next?

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Well this issue has become a very common issue with the people using free version.

Kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com & explain your issue in brief stating the solutions you have done till now. Maybe this may require some attention from development team.

Response may be delayed due to less staff and covid19. Rest be assured, they will reply back asap.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)