Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

I could use some help understanding why Bit Defender flagged something

Options

I downloaded and installed a program to be used with an oculus headset from what I believed to be a trusted source. When I ran the program, BD flagged it for malware and listed the .exe as the source. It also listed some infected files under Antivirus. Most of the listed files are from AppData folder and are Nvidia DX/GLCache, Oculus files. They were quarantined and then deleted, but I haven't found any more information regarding a named virus or what the actual threat was. My main reason for asking is because I would like to know if the source can no longer be trusted, and if there's anything else I need to do other than a scan to make sure my system is clean. Thanks in advance for any info.

Tagged:

Answers

• Mike_BD
    Mike_BD admin
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hi @PCnoob ,

It would help if you can nominated that program. What you're saying sounds a bit suspicious (hardware coming in with infected drivers)..

Cheers,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• The program in question was from a Patreon creator, but was shared by a partner creator. Normally the program would need a registration key to verify usage of the content, but was not supplied by the partner. Does this sound like it could potentially be the cause? If not, I can gather any info I have available and provide it to you.

• Mike_BD
    Options

My guess is this is the root cause of Bitdefender flagging this as malware. The question is how was this linked with a legit oculus manufacturer.

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• If I'm understanding your question correctly, the partner creator supplied the zip file directly, and did not supply it via a link to the creators Patreon page. That would leave open the possibility of the partner manipulating the file before distributing it.