App lock not working

I've noticed that the App Lock feature in Bitdefender Mobile Security works for a period and then suddenly stops. Any advice on troubleshooting or resolving this issue?

Answers

• Hello @Aneehs and welcome to the Community!

In order to fix this issue, follow the steps below:

1. Go to Settings and scroll down to Installed Apps;
    2. Tap on Bitdefender Security;
    3. Tap on Permissions;
    4. Make sure that the Display pop-up window permission is enabled; if not, please tap on it and set it to Accept.

Also, please check that Bitdefender Mobile Security is excluded from the Battery Optimization settings:

1. Go to Settings and tap on Battery & Performance;
    2. Under Battery Saving, tap on Choose Applications;
    3. Tap on Bitdefender Security and choose No Restrictions

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I have tried these options, it will work for a few minutes and then again stops

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited February 27

I understand. Sounds like a task for the Support teams then:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Scroll down to state your contact reason, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

• Hi Aneehs, please let me know if you find a fix as I have been having the same issue for the last few weeks as well. I have a Samsung s23 ultra.

• No fix yet,I am having the same phone.

• App Lock function is completely unreliable and does not protect any apps. Many comments are pointing out the BD App Lock issue, but the company seems to be ignoring it. I tried every by BD suggested solution without success. This issue forced me to use a third-party product that works well, what BD should, especially since I pay for BD 🤔 I suggest BD to make App Lock a separate app or remove it from BD functionality. Have Samsung S23 Ultra, UI 1.6.

• I have a Samsung 23 Ultra Android version 13 and I am having a similar problem. The app lock only works on one app, but not 6 other apps. The other apps are very commonly used apps, so there should be no problem. I tried all of the steps suggested and nothing worked.

• Hello @btomaz & @CR222,

If Smart Unlock is disabled, try the following:

1. Go to Settings and scroll down to Installed Apps
    2. Tap on Bitdefender Security
    3. Tap on Permissions
    4. Make sure that the Display pop-up window permission is enabled; if not, please tap on it and set it to Accept.
    5. Also, check that Bitdefender Mobile Security is excluded from the Battery Optimization settings:
    • Go to Settings and tap on Battery & Performance
    • Under Battery Saving, tap on Choose Applications
    • Tap on Bitdefender Security and choose No Restrictions.

If this doesn't solve the issue, kindly contact the Bitdefender support teams for further assistance using the link below:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

State your contact reason / choose request category, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Alex

• Same for me. AppLock worked half a day, not anymore.

It's June 2024 and Bitdefender can't/won't fix this?

Please, stop suggesting to every single user to contact support individually, and fix this for everyone.

How is this not a priority?

We pay.

Edit. I follow all suggestions, also the app Bitdefender has no restrictions.

• My comment disappeared?

Whyis Bitdefender sending every user to contact support, when we follow all suggestions, instead of fixing this?

Please do nor delete my comment again. This one is shorter.

• Flexx
    Flexx mod
    edited July 1

Your comment was marked as spam by the forum's spam protection feature, but I have now restored it. Kindly wait until the forum admin @Alexandru_BD returns from leave to answer your query. In the meantime, if you want a faster solution, the only way is to contact support.

Kindly also understand that product support on the forum is limited. To get additional information or solutions, you may need to contact the support teams.

@agozob can also take a look here.

regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Two days ago, I tried again, hoping BD finally solved the AppLock issue. Unfortunately, nothing changed, and I must further rely on a third-party solution. Repeating hints on how to solve the issue by BD technicians are useless. Please find the solution that will work. Don't forget that we pay for BD services, which should work entirely, not only partially. As I suggested earlier, it is better to dismiss this no-working feature instead of keeping it on the list of functionalities.

• 1 day after my comment, suddenly, the lock worked…. like for 8 hours. I thought BD solved it, and I was about to re-write my review here and on Reddit. But then it stopped working again. Without me doing anything before, during of after this experience.

Very old pictures from specific chats from Whatsapp showed in my gallery. I think I might be hacked. If it is so, they bypassed BD mobile. They sent themselves specific pictures, and I recognize the interest on those pictures from different chats about the same topic.

The "solution" is to lock the apps. But then again, it works and then it doesnt.

This is frustrating. There are free antivirus out there that are really good. But, for peace of mind, I want the all in one solution, which I think it is Bit Defender, and I pay for it.

But what do I pay for? If the lock is not working, I can see it. If the rest is not working, I can not see it. Maybe the antivirus works one day and not the other, or the vpn, or whatever other things we pay for that work in the background.

This app lock problem is so old, so many users complain, and Bit Defender is not taking us seriously.

• A user answer my question twice, suggesting an app that works for them, and both their answers are deleted.

We are trying to protect our devices here. Why is BitDefender blocking our communication?

I want BitDefender App Lock to work, but it is not working. Instead of blocking comments, please fix your product. We are rooting for you (with money, BitDefender is not free) and you block comments about apps that do work?

We are not against BitDefender. We are pro-securing our devices.

• btomaz
    btomaz
    edited July 2

What a behaviour of BD 🤨. They don't want to acknowledge their failure and block suggestions about working apps like theirs actually should work.

Anyone interested on working app, contact me via personal message.

• I have your recommendation on my email. But it just blows my mind that deleted your comment. I do not even know you, I do not know if I can trust your suggestion, I would have to research.

But silencing their own customers? Like we can no go to Reddit and share our experience? or do a youtube video about this? Not that I have the time for that.

Still, it blows my mind.

• This one works well. AppLock - Fingerprint - Apps on Google Play Just Wallet is only partially protected. You can not access Wallet without a fingerprint, but you can still touch your phone to the reader, and the payment will be processed with the card set as the default. Therefore I set my virtual card as default. So, the only protection of the Wallet is the native protection set in the Google account.

• Hi,

Nobody is blocking your communication. The forum is equipped with several layers of SPAM prevention. One of these layers checks for any unusual active links redirecting to other places outside the community, and another tool is designed to prevent flooding. The number of discussions & comments that users can post within a given period of time is limited, meaning that there is a threshold where you can post maximum 3 comments within 90 seconds. So, in the event your first comment was pending approval and you attempted to post another one shortly afterwards, and another one, the spamblock will be activated and the posts will be delayed for verification purposes. Only the duplicate comments resulted after the spamblock was removed were deleted.

As you can imagine, this is a very popular forum and we get all sorts of spam attempts, so we need to take a few precautionary measures against this.

I hope things make more sense now.

Regards,

Alex

• In this case, it would be very helpful if some more explainable notice were issued to the user commenting. It looks like an error, and the repeated comment was sent.

I will take the opportunity to ask if any fixes are planned to solve the AppLock issue.

• Cheers, yes I will post back here as soon as I have news.

Thanks! 👍️

• I come to report that in the last 3 days, app lock is working for me all day long.

I have not done or changed anything. Their team must have fixed it.

If it stops working, I will commit again.

I am happy about this.

Thank you Bitdefender team.

• btomaz
    btomaz
    edited July 12

Not by me. It does not even start to work. I can open any protected app without being asked for credentials. Setting App Lock was wasting of time.

In addition, I still hoped I might be wrong and tried it this way: after setting the selected apps in App Lock, I restarted the phone, and it started working. But only on the first randomly chosen app, but the next one, and any other later, came again without protection. It's weird that if you unlock one app, all others open unprotected afterward. No matter which app from the protected one is unlocked first. Finally, App Lock stopped working on any app after a few minutes. Now, I am back to the third-party app again.

• Just when it was working 3 days in a row, I jinxed it 🙃.

It's no longer working.

😭😭😭😭

• Have to thank and appreciate Riding Bones' well written comments and perseverance regarding the lack of reliable performance by the BD App Lock. I am most disappointed to be paying for a service which virtually doesn't exist.

My BD App Lock pops up in working order every now and then on my Samsung Notes app, then I become hopeful thinking BD has managed to conquer the problem. Unfortunately, the lock is not to be relied on as it can be a few days before it locks that app again. As for my set locks on other apps on my phone, they never lock.

Searching for another App Lock product without success. 😪😪

• btomaz
    btomaz
    edited July 12

I have to thank and appreciate Riding Bones' well-written comments and perseverance regarding the lack of reliable performance by the BD App Lock. I am very disappointed to be paying for a service that virtually doesn't exist.

My BD App Lock pops up in working order every now and then on my Samsung Notes app. Then I become hopeful, thinking BD has managed to conquer the problem. Unfortunately, the lock is unreliable as it can be a few days before it locks that app again. As for my set locks on other apps on my phone, they never lock.

I have searched for another App Lock product but have not been successful. 😪😪

Try AppLock - Fingerprint app. It does its job as BD AppLock should. In some cases, it is even too rigorous but not disturbing. Until BD fixes the issue with their app, this is a good alternative. I just hope the producer doesn't make any updates that will spoil the functionality

• This issue is still being investigated and there have been some setbacks along the way. We expect a fix in the upcoming update sprint.

• I have searched for another App Lock product but have not been successful. - I don't think there is a better one than Bitdefender's. Bear with them for just a little bit longer as they will get to the bottom of this. It wasn't always like this, it used to work fine before, so I'm sure it will work flawlessly again.

• Thankyou Alexandru_BD, we live in hope for App Lock to function A1 in days to come.

• I came here for the same problem, then realized that I had setup bypassing the app lock when on my wireless server. Maybe check your settings?

• I constantly have the same problem with app lock and just occasionally when I restart my phone it works for a brief period of time. It's very unreliable. Is anyone else using the secure folder feature on Samsung. I've just seen this in my setting security menu S22Ultra after the last update. May have been the for awhile as I don't often change my setting. Has BD put a date on the possibility of a fix for app lock?

• Frankgga
    edited July 30

Same problem here with a Pixel 7 Pro. App Lock isn't working at all. The fix indicated are little bit different in my phone but not working, but luckily I am in the trial fase so not fix not payment!

UPDATE App Lock isn't working when the phone is on my home wifi but with 5G data is working…?

• I found the fix. In my case "Smart unlock" in settings was checked and my home wifi was selected as safe, so the app unlock trust in the wifi and not working in that situation.

• Yes, the first step would be to check if the device is connected to the Safe Wi-Fi from Smart Unlock. This feature makes it so that the PIN is not requested at home.

• I never set any network as trusted. However, the app still doesn't do its job. My third-party app works well without any Bitdefender like glitches. How far is the fix from releasing, please?

• When will the App Lock feature within BD be fixed so it works all the time, and not just some of the time? It has been almost six months with people in this forum complaining about this issue. Why is BD not making this a priority as this is a security feature of this software? BD is supposed to be a security app, right (said sarcastically)?

• I'm grateful for the almost "Total Security" this product of the same name gives me. Just think it's a great shame the unreliability of BD App Lock diminishes the "total" security on my devices.

I'm taking for granted BD technical personnel are genuinely working on eliminating the unreliability and making AL the most secure and RELIABLE product to overtake all it's competitors. Imagine the increase in BD's "bottom $ line" if that too was perfected.

• What I'm thinking is that we know App Lock is NOT working because we can see that it isn't. But what about the rest of Total Security? It works behind the scenes and I'm beginning to wonder how many other parts of the package don't work either, but we can't tell so we don't know!

• Hello,

An update containing the fix will be released towards the end of this month.

While I understand everyone's frustration here, please take into account that bug-solving and the subsequent release of updates can take considerable time due to several factors.

Now, I'm not going to bore you with all the cumbersome details of it, but some bugs are sometimes difficult to replicate because they may only occur under specific conditions that are not immediately obvious. Once you can reproduce the behavior, identifying the root cause can also be challenging. Then the developers move to impact assessment and the search for a fix. Writing the actual code to fix the bug can be time-consuming, particularly if it requires changes to critical or complex parts of the software. When the fix is found, it needs to be rigorously tested in various environments to ensure it doesn’t break other parts of the system. This testing can include unit tests, integration tests, regression tests, and more. Again, this takes more time.

And as soon as the testing phase is completed, the fix enters a Quality Assurance process which involves multiple rounds of testing and validation. QA teams need to confirm that the bug is fully resolved without introducing new issues. This process is crucial but can also take time, especially considering that Mobile Security is so widely used.

As one member pointed our earlier on this thread, there have been six months since the first reports came out and that's true, as this was not something that could have been fixed easily and without hassle.

Bottom line is, the mobile security development teams did not sit around with their arms crossed watching the complaints pilling up here and of course nobody wants this to happen. They were busy all this time reproducing the issue in various environments and scenarios (as you know there are dozens of Android phone types out there and even more use cases), looking for the root cause, searching for the fix and testing it.

Nobody is making excuses here and you are right to be angry about what happened. But I would appreciate a more supportive attitude towards this, because these people are doing what they can to release the fix asap.

Thank you!

• To Alexandru_BD,

Thank you, and I am glad a fix has been found and tested properly. I used to be in IT, so I fully understand how it all works: finding what is causing the issue and then fixing it—and only it—so nothing else breaks.

What was frustrating was the lack of updates. I think, no, I know, that would have gone a long way toward helping everyone's attitude. This is not specific to this issue with Bitdefender; it encompasses any issue a customer with any company is having. While a solution may take time, some longer than others, depending on the issue, updating the users regarding the situation is customer service 101. Otherwise, they feel ignored and "ghosted."

One final note: Before I found this chat room, I directly contacted customer service about this issue a while ago, and it always took 24 to 48 hours to get a responsive email back. Since there was no phone support or live chat, which is shocking when dealing with a company that provides critical security software to one's electronic devices, the conversation took forever. Instead of letting me know there was an issue and others were experiencing it as well, they just had me go through the same steps everyone else went through to "fix" it, making me feel like there was nothing that could be done otherwise and I was the only one experiencing the issue.

Thank you again.

• @FrustratedUser19 believe me I know what you mean. I used to work in customer care for many years and closing the loop on pressing issues always made a difference. Perhaps no updates were communicated in this case because they didn't really have any news to share. For the record, this has been that kind of ON/OFF situation where when you think you got to the bottom of it, it resurfaces when least expected, for some reason.

It's true that there's usually a response timeframe when opening a request with Bitdefender Support, but there are also live channels, phone and chat. Here's how to get to them, they are basically located in the same place where the contact form is. So you get to this link - https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/ , then there are a few things to select before the contact channels are displayed. Entering this information will ensure the request reaches the relevant department and the required details may also speed up the resolution, since the ticket is then sent to the Support teams with all the basic information made available to them. After selecting the request category, e.g. 'activate & install; how to's and troubleshooting, purchase & manage subscription', etc, you will be prompted to select the issue type, then the product you need help with and afterwards the page will display a few suggestions and the option to contact Support directly:

Clicking on 'Contact Support' will expand the available contact channels and you can always choose 'chat' for the fastest way to get in touch with them:

That's just something to keep in mind in the future, but let's just hope everything goes smoothly from now on..

Best wishes,

Alex

• To Alexandru_BD:

That is good information regarding finding a better way to contact support. I tried finding it, but I couldn't for some reason. When I emailed support, they told me there was no phone or chat support and that email was the only way. I wish they had told me what you just did.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited August 20

There's a catch here, I think I know why they told you this. Support is divided into several levels, so if your inquiry had to be escalated to the next tier, let's say level 2 or 3, the engineers there will communicate via email only, or schedule remote sessions when necessary. But Support in general can be reached by all the above methods, chat, phone and email. This happens because some inquiries can be resolved on the spot, while others may require more advanced assistance.

• To Alexandru_BD,

Could you please provide us an update as to when a fix will be provided for the App Lock issue? You told us on August 20, "An update containing the fix will be released towards the end of this month", but it has not been updated yet. Thank you.

• same here…. app lock HAD been working fine until recently……initially intermittent now it doesnt work at all on any of our 3 phones…..pretty irritated especially as I have just paid for another year of family devices

• Has anyone found a reliable frre app lock other than BD that works for android?

• I think we can safely assume that Bitdefender will never fix this issue. It has been at least 6 months since this problem occured. Bit Defefender is just hoping that customers will just stop complaining.

• It is so very disappointing. It must be something very complex for BD skilled technicians not being able to remedy the problem.

Perhaps BD could consider reducing price of some subscriptions? As this particular area of security is spasmodic and most unreliable.

• you are kidding right ????

it was an important feature of the app !