Brand new as of today installation of bitdefender requires updated IE 11

I spent a few hours getting all prereqs and KB articles installed only to get a non-working, non-updating program that shows a screen that tells me that my IE is not up to date.

Are you all right? This is 2023, and no one uses IE 11. It is not supported as of 2022. It is not possible to get further updates yet you require updates.

I have Edge. I have FF. I have Chrome. I have the most up-to-date IE 11. Yet you are not satisfied.

How do we arrive at a working program? Step by step, please. I am on Windows 7 SP1 all up-to-date as it is only possible.

Comments

• Scott
    Scott ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

Hi @sam huy

I won't be able to give you step-by-step instructions, but maybe someone else here can besides contacting Support from the link below. But, IE was the default browser that Bitdefender used for opening scan log files in Windows 7, thus it may be asking for the "latest" updated version.

If you did not realize it, but you only have about 3 months to run Bitdefender on Windows 7. I have Avast free running on a Windows 7 PC, anticipating the EOL of BD at the end of the year.

Again, if no one here has any additional insights, Support may have an idea to get you through until January.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• This is supposed to be support, no?

• Scott
    Scott ✭✭✭✭✭

Up to a point. I'm only a volunteer, so maybe @Alexandru_BD who works for Bitdefender can help you tomorrow.

Regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Hello @sam huy and welcome to the Community!

The Bitdefender Agent requires at least Internet Explorer 11 to communicate between the licensing servers and your antivirus. Internet explorer runtimes are present on all Windows computers, and that gives us a surefire way to make sure your subscription info is communicated to locally installed Bitdefender software. But it should work with autologin even if you don't have IE 11.

The Expert Community is an environment where Bitdefender users, enthusiasts and fans can engage, exchange ideas, support each other and share their knowledge and solutions. It is also a place of ideation and provides valuable feedback to our development teams. In the event a solution is not found in the community, usually more information is required for troubleshooting, such as logs coming from the product and in some cases, remote intervention must be carried. This will help the engineers obtain a better understanding of the context and the circumstances involved. Such specific operations cannot be carried on the public forum, thus it is recommended to contact the Bitdefender Support Teams for a detailed investigation.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I am unable to run bitdefender since I have not internet explorer 11. How can I use it. Please show some possible solution.

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Shekhar

What is your operating system?

For information, Microsoft discontinued Internet Explorer 11. It has been replaced by Microsoft Edge which is based on Chromium.

What web browser do you usually use?

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.70 GHz

Bitdefender Premium Security Plus

• Do you seriously come here to tell us that IE 11 is obsolete? What else is new?

• In the past, despite Microsoft Internet Explorer being discontinued, it caused the Bitdefender product to malfunction. However, this issue was corrected. I'm not sure why this is happening to you now. Maybe @camarie can help you with this.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Agent is embedding a browser, and indeed IE 11 was used in the past. Currently it is using WebView2 as far as I know, and IE 11 is the final failsafe (for the users without WebView installed, I suppose, but I don't know in detail the latest Agent changes).

Forwarded to the guys making the agent, will get back when I have details.

• Update: the agent in the market is using WebView2 and not using anymore IE11 by default. IE11 is used only in the case when IE11 is set as the default browser.

On Windows 7/8/8.1 the login is done using the default browser (no WebView2).