What does this information mean?

King of the cats
edited July 30 in General Topics

Hello, I ran Rkill (like everyone does) and found the log has this info. What could it mean?

An earlier log had something along the lines of this"

* Reparse Point/Junctions Found (Most likely legitimate)             C:\WINDOWS\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5 => C:\WINDOWS\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE [Dir]"

I know that any third-party AV will overwrite Windows Defender.

Answers

• Hello,

I think this indicates the presence of a reparse point or junction.

A reparse point is a type of NTFS filesystem object that extends the capabilities of the file system by allowing certain special operations to be defined for files and directories. Essentially, they can act like shortcuts or symbolic links, pointing to another location on the file system. A junction (or junction point) is a type of reparse point used for directories. It allows a directory to be referenced by another directory in a different location.

Such reparse points and junctions are often used by the operating system and applications to manage files more efficiently. In this case, it is related to the cache used by Internet Explorer or potentially other components of the Windows OS that deal with internet caching.

As the log entry suggests, this is most likely legitimate. Windows and its applications often use reparse points and junctions to manage data efficiently. This specific instance is likely used by the system to handle cached internet data. Typically, there is no need for concern or action if such entries are flagged as "Most likely legitimate." Rkill is simply noting their existence.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user