Exploit.pdf-js.gen

Hey everyone first time poster and oh boy am I in some deep trouble yesterday 12/06/09 bitdefender blocked this virus "Exploit.PDF-JS.Gen" (or so I thought) from my system at the time I didn't think much of it so I cleared my temporary internet files and carried on like normal. Well about an hour later bitdefender blocked the same virus again but this time my browser was re-directed to some bogus virus scanner thinking it was some kind of fluke I click off it and call it a night.

The next day I get up and everything is fine (yeah right guess what happens) my web browser gets re-directed to another bogus virus scanner (see screenshot) but this time bitdefender didn't detect anything. I'm almost positve I've got some kind of spyware on my system that bitdefender cannot detect I've ran multiple scans with bitdefender (deep scan), Spybot Search and Destroy and microsoft windows malicious software removal tool and they can't find anything. Please help me I'm at wits end here I don't want to reformat my hard drive unless I absolutely have to.

Screenshot:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6195/browserhijacker.jpg

I'll post my scan log even thought it didn't find anything.

BitDefender Log File

Product: BitDefender Internet Security 2010

Version: BitDefender Antivirus Scanner

Scanning task: Deep System Scan

Log date: 12/6/2009 12:25:23 AM

Log path: C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles\Logs\deep_scan\1259990723_1_00.xml

Scan paths:

Path 0000: C:\

Path 0001: D:\

Scan Level:

Scan for viruses: Yes

Scan for adware: Yes

Scan for spyware: Yes

Scan for applications: Yes

Scan for dialers: Yes

Scan for rootkits: Yes

Scan for keyloggers: Yes

Virus Scanning Options:

Scan registry keys: Yes

Scan cookies: Yes

Scan boot sectors: Yes

Scan memory processes: Yes

Scan archives: Yes

Scan runtime packers: Yes

Scan e-mails: Yes

Scan all files: Yes

Heuristic Scan: Yes

Scanned extensions: not configured

Excluded extensions: not configured

Target Processing:

Default first action for infected objects: Disinfect

Default second action for infected objects: None

Default first action for suspect objects : None

Default second action for suspicious objects: None

Default action for hidden objects: None

Default first action for encrypted infected objects: Disinfect

Default second action for encrypted infected objects: None

Default first action for encrypted suspicious objects: None

Default second action for encrypted suspicious objects: None

Default action for password-protected objects: Log only

Scan Engines Summary

Virus signatures: 4693101

Archive plugins: 44

E-mail plugins: 6

Scan plugins: 13

System plugins: 5

Unpack plugins: 8

Basic

Scanned items: 333725

Infected items: 0 (no infected items have been detected)

Suspect items: 0 (no suspected items have been detected)

Hidden items: 0 (no hidden items have been detected during this scan)

Resolved items: 0 (no threats have been detected during this scan)

Unresolved items: 0 (no issues remained unresolved)

Advanced

Scan time: 01:16:54

Files per second: 72

Skipped items: 22469

Password-protected items: 0

Over-compressed items: 0

Individual viruses found: 0

Scanned folders: 32727

Scanned boot sectors: 0

Scanned archives: 1060

Input-output errors: 58

Scanned processes: 0

Infected processes: 0

Scanned registry keys: 0

Infected registry keys: 0

Scanned cookies: 0

Infected cookies: 0

Comments

• Lionet
    Lionet
    edited December 2009
    Hey everyone first time poster and oh boy am I in some deep trouble yesterday 12/06/09 bitdefender blocked this virus "Exploit.PDF-JS.Gen" (or so I thought) from my system at the time I didn't think much of it so I cleared my temporary internet files and carried on like normal. Well about an hour later bitdefender blocked the same virus again but this time my browser was re-directed to some bogus virus scanner thinking it was some kind of fluke I click off it and call it a night.

The next day I get up and everything is fine (yeah right guess what happens) my web browser gets re-directed to another bogus virus scanner (see screenshot) but this time bitdefender didn't detect anything. I'm almost positve I've got some kind of spyware on my system that bitdefender cannot detect I've ran multiple scans with bitdefender (deep scan), Spybot Search and Destroy and microsoft windows malicious software removal tool and they can't find anything. Please help me I'm at wits end here I don't want to reformat my hard drive unless I absolutely have to.

I got the same message last week on two computers with Bitdefender Internet 2008 two days before buying the renewal, I did not even surf on internet before!. (ok some malware like Sasser and Blaster could infect a system with no surf needed).

However the web browser did not led to a bogus site. I did not have any problem to get rid of the malware (as far as I know)

However neither the new Bitdefender, Counterspy (antispyware) found anything as well. It's strange.

It is possible to do a free analysis from several software companies: Bitdefender and others without downloading the sofware and buying it. It could help.

Another solution: taking the hard disk off the computer and analysing it from a safe and well protected system using an external material before formatting it.

Good night

:huh:

• Alex Stanciu
    Alex Stanciu ✭✭
    edited December 2009

Hello Lionet and Ryan C.,

We would like you to go to the next link and run the BDSI and the Gmer tools as described in the article . After you obtain these reports , you will need to upload them here then reply with the download links . My colleagues from the Virus Analysis team will analyze these files and we will contact you back with further instructions after the analysis is complete .

Thank you .

• Hello Lionet and Ryan C.,

We would like you to go to the next link and run the BDSI and the Gmer tools as described in the article . After you obtain these reports , you will need to upload them here then reply with the download links . My colleagues from the Virus Analysis team will analyze these files and we will contact you back with further instructions after the analysis is complete .

Thank you .

Hi Alex,

Here are my links for the three files.

Thanks

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zdl9n9

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c0hhsg

http://www.sendspace.com/file/r6f1nw

I'll do it the same for my other computer later this day.

Best regards