Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Constant Scan Restarts

Options

Since I installed BD about 6 months ago I've noticed that it doesn't really pay much attention to my scan schedule. I have both System Scans and Quick System Scans set up to run every 7 days, staggered 4 days apart (ie. System Scan starts on Day 1, Quick Scan starts on day 4). But still BD insists on starting up scans any old time, sometimes several times in one day. For example, today I reset my schedule so a System Scan would happen at 11am today, with scans 7 days apart, with a Quick System Scan set to start up in 4 days, 7 days apart.

Within an hour of the System Scan finishing, a Quick Scan started, which I canceled. Then another System Scan started, which I canceled. Then another Quick Scan, which I canceled. It seems that on some days, every time my laptop wakes from Standby, another scan starts. Sometimes it starts one type of scan while another type of scan is already running, and sometimes it seems to start the same type of scan, then I get a message that the scan is already running.

I like having a well protected system but having scans start up constantly at random is not reassuring. If the scheduling mechanism is that bugged up, how do I know the protection system is really working well?

I tried submitting a report through BitDefender itself but it got stuck trying to gather information - the progress bar was at about 30% and stayed that way for 10 minutes.

Comments

• Since I installed BD about 6 months ago I've noticed that it doesn't really pay much attention to my scan schedule. I have both System Scans and Quick System Scans set up to run every 7 days, staggered 4 days apart (ie. System Scan starts on Day 1, Quick Scan starts on day 4). But still BD insists on starting up scans any old time, sometimes several times in one day. For example, today I reset my schedule so a System Scan would happen at 11am today, with scans 7 days apart, with a Quick System Scan set to start up in 4 days, 7 days apart.

Within an hour of the System Scan finishing, a Quick Scan started, which I canceled. Then another System Scan started, which I canceled. Then another Quick Scan, which I canceled. It seems that on some days, every time my laptop wakes from Standby, another scan starts. Sometimes it starts one type of scan while another type of scan is already running, and sometimes it seems to start the same type of scan, then I get a message that the scan is already running.

I like having a well protected system but having scans start up constantly at random is not reassuring. If the scheduling mechanism is that bugged up, how do I know the protection system is really working well?

I tried submitting a report through BitDefender itself but it got stuck trying to gather information - the progress bar was at about 30% and stayed that way for 10 minutes.

Hi Robin Green,

Never saw this bug before... By the way, we do not really need quick or system analysis but deep analysis which can be done at night..., that's all.

You should be able to cancel all planned scan, and do it manually. Suppress all planned tasks and check the result.

1) Maybe you'd better repair/reinstall BD?

it could fix the bug.

2) Did you see any other bizarre actions on your system? on your internet line? (Do you suspect a malware? -> I usually put the suspected hard disk on external link to a well protected machine to be analysed and check for malwares)

there are threads on the scan loop effect, an expert will answer you probably.

Regards,

:)

L.

• I'm not familiar with the 2010 line of BD products, but read this topic in the 2011 forum and then see if there is a similar setting available in your 2010 product.

Link: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=21402

Let us know if this works for you.

Regards,

• I'm not familiar with the 2010 line of BD products, but read this topic in the 2011 forum and then see if there is a similar setting available in your 2010 product.

Link: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=21402

Let us know if this works for you.

Regards,

HI nikki605,

With BD IS 2010, we can run the scan in low priority, but we do not have the similar setting you mentionned. I guess the action is not very far from 2011's result...

Regards,

:)

L.

• Lionet - Well, I thought it would be worth asking. Sorry my idea didn't work out. :(

I'm sure one of the tech support folks will have a better idea come Monday.

Have a great weekend,

• Hi Robin,

The issue you encounter can be easily resolved by following the steps below. However, I do believe that you should upgrade to the 2011 version if your PC is up to it (if the PC meets the system requirements).

If you decide to upgrade follow this topic:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=20941

If you wish to troubleshoot the 2010 follow the steps below:

1. Please download the archive from the link below and extract the file 'tasks_system.xml' from it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bc4bw3

2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode.

[How to restart Windows in Safe Mode]

- Restart the computer (Windows Start button - Turn Off - Restart);

- Press the 'F8' key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; you need to press 'F8' until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select 'SAFE MODE' in the text menu and press 'Enter'.

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click 'OK' to acknowledge.

3. Browse to the

'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles' folder for Windows XP

or to the

'C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles' folder for Windows Vista

or to the

'C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles' for Windows 7

4. Replace the 'tasks_system.xml' file with the downloaded one, over-writing the existing one.

Please follow the steps below in order to be able to see that folder:

------

[how to DISPLAY HIDDEN OBJECTS]

- go to your 'Control Panel' and open 'Folder Options';

- then go to the 'View' tab and perform the changes listed below:

* check 'Display contents of system folders'

* check 'Show hidden files and folders'

* uncheck 'Hide file extensions for known file types'

* uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files'

- click 'Apply' and then 'OK' to exit.

NOTE: On Microsoft Windows Vista you will apply the same steps except for selecting 'Display contents of system folders'.

For more information you can read the following article:

http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB354-en--Reveal...em-folders.html

------

Then restart the computer in Normal mode and check if the issue still occurs.

Kind regards,