Vsserv.exe Process

use bitdefender on my XP and it has worked great for the first month, but now I have a problem with the vsserv.exe process- it's using over than 50% from my cpu.

What can I do? It doesnwt stop, and my computer works slowly.

Comments

• With deep regret I have to inform you that only after a few days of getting my problem resolved here, the same problem of vsserve.exe is back to haunt me.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=27213

That was the link for the older forum, which had supposedly resolved my problem, only to return days later.

I am asking, is there a solution at all?

It is really annoying.

I have had to uninstall it yet again.

My product is BitDefender 2011 Total Security, Windows 7, Intel Core 2 Duo@2 GHz, 4 GB RAM.

• Hello,

With all due respect however if you reinstall it, I won't be able to pinpoint what exactly is triggering the issue you encounter. Please follow the steps below and send me the generated log file:

1. Download this file:

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...ile/sysdump.exe

2. Locate and open 'Sysdump.exe'

3. A command prompt window will appear on your screen. Please note that the information gathering process can take several minutes therefore please wait until the window disappear by itself.

4. The result will be the file called 'SYSDUMP.TAR'

5. When you have the sysdump.tar please upload it HERE

6. Include a DETAILED description of the issue you encounter: reproduce the steps you take until the issue occur and, if possible, enclose a screenshot of any error message you receive.

7. Send me a PM (Private Message) with the download link and one for the topic you started.

Looking forward to your answer!

• Hello,

With all due respect however if you reinstall it, I won't be able to pinpoint what exactly is triggering the issue you encounter. Please follow the steps below and send me the generated log file:

1. Download this file:

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...ile/sysdump.exe

2. Locate and open 'Sysdump.exe'

3. A command prompt window will appear on your screen. Please note that the information gathering process can take several minutes therefore please wait until the window disappear by itself.

4. The result will be the file called 'SYSDUMP.TAR'

5. When you have the sysdump.tar please upload it HERE

6. Include a DETAILED description of the issue you encounter: reproduce the steps you take until the issue occur and, if possible, enclose a screenshot of any error message you receive.

7. Send me a PM (Private Message) with the download link and one for the topic you started.

Looking forward to your answer!

Here is the file:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/34r4i8

I am also sending you this as PM.

• Hello,

I have found traces not removed from a previous installation of BitDefender:

Update Server

│├ Type REG_DWORD 0x00000010 (16)

│├ Start REG_DWORD 0x00000003 (3)

│├ ErrorControl REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

│├ ImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Arrakis Server\bin\arrakis3.exe

│├ DisplayName REG_SZ BitDefender Update Server v2

│└ ObjectName REG_SZ LocalSystem

Considering the above, I do believe that the slowdown occurs whenever the option to "Enable Update sharing (P2P)" is enabled under Update >>> Settings.

Please save the uninstall tool below without running it yet:

http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall

When requested, please restart the PC. Do NOT restart it until you do not see the notification displayed on the screen.

SAVE the file below then install the software:

http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup236.exe

When the install is complete open the software and perform BOTH cleanings:

- for Temporary files

- for Invalid Windows registry entries

IMPORTANT:

- delete ALL temporary files found!

- do NOT backup the registry entries found

Restart the PC again when the cleaning is complete and then download the installation kit below associated with your PC architecture and Operating System:

32bits:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...ty_2011_32b.exe

64bits:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...ty_2011_64b.exe

When the download is complete right click on the saved file and choose "Run as Administrator". DO NOT USE THE OPTION "OPEN/RUN" when saving the installation kit.

9. Follow the on-screen instructions and install the newest BitDefender version.

Please confirm that the issue has been resolved. If the issue will resurface again please DO NOT reinstall or uninstall BitDefender so I can pinpoint easier what exactly is making this issue reappearing over and over.

Kind regards,

• abhishekiitd
    edited July 2011
    Hello,

Update Server

│├ ImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Arrakis Server\bin\arrakis3.exe

Considering the above, I do believe that the slowdown occurs whenever the option to "Enable Update sharing (P2P)" is enabled under Update >>> Settings.

When requested, please restart the PC. Do NOT restart it until you do not see the notification displayed on the screen.

- for Temporary files

IMPORTANT:

Restart the PC again when the cleaning is complete and then download the installation kit below associated with your PC architecture and Operating System:

32bits:

64bits:

When the download is complete right click on the saved file and choose "Run as Administrator". DO NOT USE THE OPTION "OPEN/RUN" when saving the installation kit.

9. Follow the on-screen instructions and install the newest BitDefender version.

Please confirm that the issue has been resolved. If the issue will resurface again please DO NOT reinstall or uninstall BitDefender so I can pinpoint easier what exactly is making this issue reappearing over and over.

Kind regards,

I did as advised, and it is running well again.

Just like the last time.

I'll have to wait and watch for at least a fortnight to confirm that the problem is totally gone. Hopefully it won't return, as it did the last time.

Right now, its good.

Thanks.

• Hi,

Glad to see the issue is resolved. Please keep the PC on observation for the next few days and confirm that the issue has been indeed resolved or resurfaced. If still occurs please do not reinstall BitDefender so we can pinpoint the cause and find a fix.

Regards,

• is this vsserv.exe normal?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/58213048.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/67467866.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/99241010.jpg/

i'm using bitdefender internet security 2011,

core duo t2450

ram 2.5 GB

Win XP SP3

• Hello,

Ralese: I am not seeing anything suspicious nor out of the ordinary in the screenshots you attached.

If you have any further queries please create your own new topic, explain the situation and you'll have my answer in the shortest time possible.

Regards,

• Hello,

Update Server

- for Temporary files

IMPORTANT:

32bits:

64bits:

Kind regards,

I tried this and while there was a slight improvement, vserve.exe is still using about 43% of my memory. How do you fix this?

• I have the following system software:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

Computer:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHZ, 1.00GB RAM

I am using the Bitdefender Antivirus Pro 2011 Build 14.0.30.357

This VSSERV.exe seems to be running continuously and affecting my PC so badly that I can virtually not do anything on my PC. Please help

• Since you are using BD 2011, I am moving your topic to the 2011 forum where it will receive a proper response.

Do you have any other security programs installed on your PC - a/v, anti-malware, firewall, etc.?

Regards,

• Even if BitDefender don't detect it Active Virus Control should. If it doesn't get BD 2012.

• Even if BitDefender don't detect it Active Virus Control should. If it doesn't get BD 2012.

Hello,

Not sure I'm following, can you please reproduce the steps you take until the issue occurs ?

Regards,

• Hello,

Nasario: please note that the post you quoted was for Abhishekiitd and for his particular issue. It is not a general resolution ! Please create a new topic, explain the situation making sure you include all details (PC RAM memory, processory, Operating System etc) and you'll have my answer in the shortest time possible.

Regards,

• I'm having a problem with vsserv.exe taking up huge amounts of memory and slowing everything else way down. I just installed bitdefender and am running windows xp (i dont know what service pack, or how to check).

Help!

• nikki605
    edited August 2011

Welcome to the forum. :)

I'm having a problem with vsserv.exe taking up huge amounts of memory and slowing everything else way down. I just installed bitdefender and am running windows xp (i dont know what service pack, or how to check).

Help!

Click on Windows Start, then right-click on My Computer and select Properties. That window will display all the information we will need to help you -

Windows XP Version & Service Pack, processor & speed, installed memory. I've blocked out my license key which is also displayed. For your own protection, DO NOT post your Windows license key.

post-35640-1313283227_thumb.jpg

Regards,

• Welcome to the forum. :)

Click on Windows Start, then right-click on My Computer and select Properties. That window will display all the information we will need to help you -

Windows XP Version & Service Pack, processor & speed, installed memory. I've blocked out my license key which is also displayed. For your own protection, DO NOT post your Windows license key.

post-35640-1313283227_thumb.jpg

Regards,

windows xp 2002 edition, service pack 3, 1.7g processor

also why do i keep getting "events" telling me to reboot my computer to complete installation? i've rebooted several times and keep getting the message

• windows xp 2002 edition, service pack 3, 1.7g processor

also why do i keep getting "events" telling me to reboot my computer to complete installation? i've rebooted several times and keep getting the message

ok, now it's getting to the point where I'm ready to uninstall this program and go back to norton. between downloader.exe and vsserv.exe taking up huge amounts of memory this computer is almost useless.

any ideas?

• Issues like this are often caused by a conflict with another security program. Do you have ANY other security type program installed? Or, have you previously uninstalled any other security type program? Sometimes the uninstall function does not completely remove all traces of the program.

Also, getting frequent messages from BD to reboot is not normal. There are not that many program updates being released for the 2011 products since the 2012 version has been released. It may be an indication that the current installation of BD is corrupt or incomplete.

Which BD 2011 product do you have installed - Antivirus, Internet Security or Total Security?

Awaiting your reply,

• Issues like this are often caused by a conflict with another security program. Do you have ANY other security type program installed? Or, have you previously uninstalled any other security type program? Sometimes the uninstall function does not completely remove all traces of the program.

Also, getting frequent messages from BD to reboot is not normal. There are not that many program updates being released for the 2011 products since the 2012 version has been released. It may be an indication that the current installation of BD is corrupt or incomplete.

Which BD 2011 product do you have installed - Antivirus, Internet Security or Total Security?

Awaiting your reply,

I recently uninstalled Norton anti-virus. I have installed Paretologic PC health program. I downloaded bitdefender antivirus.

The reboot messages seem to have stopped for now.

• Maybe it would be best to just monitor the PC for a while since the reboot messages have stopped.

I don't know anything about the Paretologic PC health program. Does it have any kind of real time protection? That would be where the potential for a conflict would exist.

Regards,

• Maybe it would be best to just monitor the PC for a while since the reboot messages have stopped.

I don't know anything about the Paretologic PC health program. Does it have any kind of real time protection? That would be where the potential for a conflict would exist.

Regards,

that doesn't help with vsserv.exe hogging huge amounts of memory and slowing my computer way down

• Then the best thing to do is to run the BD Support Tool which creates log files for BD tech support.

Please follow the procedure below to have BD tech support investigate your issue further.

1. First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one. This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

5. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file HERE

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

Regards,

• Welcome to the forum. :)

Please follow the procedure below to have BD tech support investigate your issue further.

1. First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one. This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

5. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file HERE

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

Regards,

• Hi,

I have been having problems since i installed BD2011 several months ago and now i believe i have found out why considering alot of people have had the same issue with vsserv.exe.

I was looking in my resource monitor and on top of the list was vsserv.exe 217,472KB by far using the most.

My system is as follows

i5 760 quad core running @ 2.80GHz

4gb ram

Windows 7 64 bit

I was always sure it was BD2011 causing this problem as i have never had a problem before installing it but was just waiting for my registration to finish which is in 60 days before trying out a new product.

Can someone please help with this issue if you would like to keep a customer.

Kind Regards Dave

post-73484-1316958083_thumb.png

• Issues such as this are sometimes caused by conflicts with other security programs. Could you please provide a little more info please:

- Is Windows 7 SP1 installed?

- Which BD product do you have - Antivirus, Internet Security or Total Security?

- Do you have any other security program(s) currently installed on your PC?

- Did you uninstall any other security program(s) prior to installing or attempting to install BD?

- If the answer to question 6 is YES, what method did you use to uninstall each - the program's Windows Start Menu 'Uninstall' function, Windows Add/Remove Program function, the company's standalone downloaded uninstall tool or a third party uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller?

Awaiting your reply,

• - SP 1 is installed.

-BD2011 internet security.

- Yes, I have superantispyware but it only running when i do a scan.

-I was running AVG and AdAware prior to installing although i have only recently uninstalled adaware and all i ever use to uninstall software is Ccleaner.

Thank you for you quick reply.

Regards Dave

• Thanks for the additional info. I have also used CCleaner for years, but as far as it's uninstaller, all it does is act as a "shell" to whatever program's supplied uninstall program is found in the PC.

I've not used superantispyware, but I think it is only an on-demand scanner with no real time protection module, but you may want to verify that for yourself. If it does have real time protection, then it too, will need to be uninstalled.

Since CCleaner only ran AVG's & AdAware's own uninstallers, find their standalone uninstall tools from the list in this pinned topic, download them to your PC and right-click on each and select Run As Administrator. Reboot the PC after running each uninstall tool.

Now, if there were any leftover files/folders/registry keys from any on those programs, then BD may not have installed correctly and will also need to be uninstalled and re-installed.

To uninstall BD, download the Uninstall Tool from HEREto your PC and right-click on the file and select Run As Administrator. Reboot the PC after running each uninstall tool.

Finally, doenload a fresh copy of BDIS 2011 from HERE to your PC and right-click on the file and select Run As Administrator. Follow the on-screen instructions and reboot the PC when complete.

Post back with your results.

Regards,

• I have the same problem with vsserv.exe. I sent email to DanyDan and awaiting his response.

• Hello,

Please upgrade your BitDefender to the latest version: BitDefender 2012 as explained in the article below and the issue should be resolved:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-...r-2012-711.html

Kind regards,

• I have BD Total Security 2011 installed on four computers. All are running Win XP SP3. Only this computer has a problem with process vsserv running for extended periods of time (20 - 30 minutes or longer) while using 50% or more of CPU capabilities most of that time. I do not see any particular pattern when the vsserv process runs as noted above, but it does distinctly slow this computer.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011

Hi.

Please upgrade your BitDefender to the latest version (BitDefender 2012) as explained in the article below and the issue should be resolved:

Have a nice day.

• Hi.

Please upgrade your BitDefender to the latest version (BitDefender 2012) as explained in the article below and the issue should be resolved:

Have a nice day.

Have been having the same problem as other folks so reinstalled Bit Defender 2012 but am watching the Task Manager graph running at 100% CPU usage nearly all the time with vsserv.exe taking 78-99% of it.

Am running XP Service Pack 3 with 1.7GHz proecessor and 1MB RAM

• Have been having the same problem as other folks so reinstalled Bit Defender 2012 but am watching the Task Manager graph running at 100% CPU usage nearly all the time with vsserv.exe taking 78-99% of it.

Am running XP Service Pack 3 with 1.7GHz proecessor and 1MB RAM

If you now have BD 2012 installed, you should start your own new topic in the Bd 2012-->Antivirus forum so that your issue receives the proper attention.

Regards,

• I am running an I-7 processor with Windows XP and using Bitdefender Total Security2012 . Vsserve.exe just keeps on cranking, slowing down all my processes. When I installed Total Security 2012 I used the BitDefender Uninstall to completely remove all traces of BitDefender. I also did a search to find any left over files and found none before installing the new 2012 software. Windows Task Manager is unable to stop or in any way control vsserve.exe.

• nikki605
    edited November 2011
    I am running an I-7 processor with Windows XP and using Bitdefender Total Security2012 . Vsserve.exe just keeps on cranking, slowing down all my processes. When I installed Total Security 2012 I used the BitDefender Uninstall to completely remove all traces of BitDefender. I also did a search to find any left over files and found none before installing the new 2012 software. Windows Task Manager is unable to stop or in any way control vsserve.exe.

You stated you have BD 2012 installed, but you have posted on an old topic in the BD 2011 forum. If you are running BD 2012, would you like me to move your post to it's own topic in the BD 2012 forum where it will receive the proper attention?

I also see that you have posted in this topic. Cristi B. of BD tech support responded with a request for a log file that you did not reply to.

Regards,

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011

Hi Dragonheart

This discussion will continue in this topic:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=125645

Thank you.