Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[resolved In Bitdefender 2013] Toolbar Add-on And Thunderbird

Options

Just purchased and installed (yesterday, 17 Dec.) BitDefender Internet Security 2012. The Thunderbird toolbar add-on is not working properly, as far as I can tell.

The following toolbar buttons are not working:

"Add Spammer" - I assume this quickly adds an address to the Spammers list; nothing happens when I click.

"Add Friend" - Same as for above.

"Spammers" - Nothing opens when I click this.

"Friends" - Nothing opens when I click this.

I am able to mark something, "Is Spam" and the email moves to the appropriate junk folder. Additionally, the "Settings" button opens the setting menu.

I am using version Thunderbird 8.0 with bdToolbar 7.0.

What do I do to fix this issue?

Also, while I am posting - be aware that the Thunderbird 9.0 (and Firefox 9.0) final version is being released on 20 December 2011. So if there is any work to be done to prepare the bdToolbar to be compatible with Thunderbird 9.0 please perform it.

Comments

• rootkit
    Options

Hello

The update for Thunderbird is delivered via product update.

Please manually update Bitdefender from the main interface and reboot your machine.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=28172

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=28647

Let me know if the issue is solved after that.

Thank you.

• golfe
    edited December 2011
    Options

No, that did not fix the issue. There is no change.

I am a new customer (I have the Bitdefender product for two days). So I assume the installation of a brand new product would have most major updates included already. Nevertheless, I manually updated immediately after installation. Manually updating again did nothing.

Is this issue version-specific for Thunderbird? That is, will others have this problem tomorrow when Thunderbird 9.0 is released?

I am having basically the same functionality issue as Leopard Ben in this thread:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=30274

Hello

The update for Thunderbird is delivered via product update.

Please manually update Bitdefender from the main interface and reboot your machine.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=28172

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=28647

Let me know if the issue is solved after that.

Thank you.

Leopard Ben
  • rootkit
    Options

Hello :)

We are running some test today and I will get back to you with an answer.

Thank you.

• columbo
    Options

All seems good on my PC, using Thunderbird 9.0.1. All B.D. Toolbar options are working properly when an email is left clicked (highlighted) :huh:

BDversion.jpg

• rootkit
    Options

Hi columbo

Thank you for your feedback.

Happy Holidays!

• columbo
    columbo
    edited December 2011
    Options

You're welcome, and Happy Holidays to you too. :D

• Yes, well, the B.D. Toolbar for Thunderbird 9.0.1 is still not working correctly for me. Still the same issue from 18 December (my original post).

Has there been any progress on this issue?

• columbo
    Options
    Just purchased and installed (yesterday, 17 Dec.) BitDefender Internet Security 2012. The Thunderbird toolbar add-on is not working properly, as far as I can tell.

The following toolbar buttons are not working:

"Add Spammer" - I assume this quickly adds an address to the Spammers list; nothing happens when I click.

"Add Friend" - Same as for above.

"Spammers" - Nothing opens when I click this.

"Friends" - Nothing opens when I click this.

I am able to mark something, "Is Spam" and the email moves to the appropriate junk folder. Additionally, the "Settings" button opens the setting menu.

Hi golfe :)

Just a follow up thought to my post about it working on my PC, I wasn't sure if you knew, since you just bought B.D. on the 17th, that you have to click on an email to get all the options to show for what can be done with an email. Below may explain it visually better, and you can go from there as far as additional support from members here, if it still isn't working properly. I apologize if you already knew this, but I figure with a new install of B.D., why not cover that base, just to be sure, and you can go from there. :)

ThunderbirdBD.jpg

ThunderbirdBD1.jpg

• Yes, thank you for your follow-up.

Unfortunately, I was already aware that highlighting of individual emails highlights all the options in the toolbar. The issue for me is the 'add spammer', 'add friend', 'spammers', and 'friends' buttons do not function even when an email is highlighted. As far as I can tell, the 'is spam' and 'settings' are the only buttons functioning.

• rootkit
    Options

Welcome back

Could you please tell which email service are you currently using? Do you have Gmail?

Thank you very much. Have a nice day.

• No, I am not using Gmail.

I am using Thunderbird 9.0.1 email client. I have two email accounts on the client: GMX and AIM (AOL) mail. The toolbar buttons do not function in either account.

Is there a way to reinstall the toolbar - besides reinstalling the entire Bitdefender suite?

• rootkit
    Options

Welcome back

Go to Thunderbird and disable the extension from the list. Reboot and repair our product.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=31145

This is the easiest way to do this. :)

If you need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Take care.

• Christian, I performed the repair per your instructions.

The Bitdefender toolbar is still not working.

Suggestions?

• rootkit
    Options

Welcome back.

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

Thank you. Take care.

• golfe
    edited December 2011
    Options

Thank you Christian.

I performed the action per your request and sent you a PM (but I'm not seeing the PM being sent in my control panel). Please let me know if you have received it.

• Thank you Christian.

I performed the action per your request and sent you a PM (but I'm not seeing the PM being sent in my control panel). Please let me know if you have received it.

Nevermind, I know you have received the PM I sent. I just noticed that one has to tick the box to save "sent" messages to my control panel. Regardless, I look forward to your response.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi :)

I have received you message. I am currently investigating the logs and I will get back to you when I have new information about thins.

Thank you for your time.

• golfe
    edited January 2012
    Options

I have received you message. I am currently investigating the logs and I will get back to you when I have new information about thins.

Thank you for your time.

Hi Christian.

Any progress on this issue? I know you are inundated with many issues and I do appreciate your efforts - just keeping it on your mind.

I exchanged a couple of messages with columbo from this thread. He mentioned that he is not having any issues with the toolbar in Thunderbird. He did say that he performed a fresh install of Thunderbird after Bitdefender IS 2012 was already installed. I performed the exact opposite order of installation. Could that be a clue to solving the issue?

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

I am glad columbo contacted you. We are still investigating this and our machines we could not reproduce it.

You can also try to follow those steps to see if this is still reproducing on your machine.

The installation steps can be found here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=241&id=44

Take care.

• I will try to uninstall Thunderbird and perform a fresh install of that program to see if it fixes the issue. I will respond with the outcome to let you know if that corrected the issue.

In the meantime, here is some other information about my system:

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

Thunderbird 9.0.1 has the following add-ons: bdtoolbar 7.0, Lightning 1.1.1, and Test Pilot for Thunderbird 1.3.4.

• I will try to uninstall Thunderbird and perform a fresh install of that program to see if it fixes the issue. I will respond with the outcome to let you know if that corrected the issue.

In the meantime, here is some other information about my system:

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

Thunderbird 9.0.1 has the following add-ons: bdtoolbar 7.0, Lightning 1.1.1, and Test Pilot for Thunderbird 1.3.4.

I performed the above, but the issue was not resolved.

The steps I performed are as follows:

1) Disabled Bitdefender toolbar in Thunderbird

2) Complete uninstall of Thunderbird 9.0.1 (including program folders, profiles, and registry entries)

3) Bitdefender repair and reboot of computer

4) Reinstall of Thunderbird (fresh installation, no profile added back)

5) Enabled Bitdefender toolbar in Thunderbird (only other add-on installed is Test Pilot for Thunderbird 1.3.4)

The issue still exists that some of the toolbar buttons (all four of the spammer and friends buttons) are not functioning. Any other suggestions? Is anyone else having the same issue?

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the confirmation.

I will test this on several machines and I will come back with fresh information.

Thank you.

• Great, thank you Christian.

I look forward to your follow-up.

I should add that my Thunderbird installation has several plug-ins too, but nothing out of the ordinary and nothing related to an obscure program. The plugs-in are for things like Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, iTunes, Java, Flash, Silverlight, etc...common programs.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello

I think I have discovered something in the tests. Do you use a IMAP server for those mail services?

Please post here the settings from your email client(server, port, connection type, etc).

Thank you.

• Hello

I think I have discovered something in the tests. Do you use a IMAP server for those mail services?

Please post here the settings from your email client(server, port, connection type, etc).

Thank you.

Yes, that is correct. I am using IMAP server email services: an AIM account and a GMX account. I have since disabled (uninstalled) the AIM account while I troubleshoot this issue. The AIM account, when enabled, is also used as an IMAP account, but not discussed in this forum posting.

Here is the information you requested for the GMX Mail account:

IMAP Mail Server - imap.gmx.com

Port: 993

Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Authentication: Yes, normal password

Thunderbird Junk Settings: Enabled, but no actions are specified upon junk mail identified (see attached image).

Thunderbird Options: Allow anti-virus clients to quarantine messages (see attached image).

SMTP Mail Server - mail.gmx.com

Port: 465

I hope this helps resolve the issue. Please let me know if you require additional information. I look forward to your response.

post-85219-1326554818_thumb.png

post-85219-1326554885_thumb.png

• Follow-up: to my reply above....

Here is the information you requested for the AIM Mail account:

IMAP Mail Server - imap.aol.com

Port: 993

SMTP Mail Server - smtp.aol.com

Port: 587

Connection Security: STARTTLS

Hope this helps too!

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello

There is a small issue related to IMAP servers. I have forwarded this to our developers and they are currently working on a fix.

Until the update is released, could you please tell me if you have the same issue on Outlook 2007/2010?

Thank you very much.

• Hello

There is a small issue related to IMAP servers. I have forwarded this to our developers and they are currently working on a fix.

Until the update is released, could you please tell me if you have the same issue on Outlook 2007/2010?

Thank you very much.

That is good news, Christian. What appears to be the issue? Unfortunately, I do not have Outlook installed on my computer so I cannot check the compatibility at this time.

Thank you!

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello

The issue is generated by the differences between IMAP and POP3.

http://email.cityu.edu.hk/faq/popimap.htm

http://www1.umn.edu/adcs/guides/email/imapvspop.html

Also, Mozilla has implemented some new functions in the new product and our developers will have to change some things in the product in order for the toolbar to properly take actions on the selected items.

Could you make / change the settings from those mail services to POP3?

http://email.about.com/od/accessingaolmail...P3_Settings.htm

http://help.gmx.com/mail/overview/pop3/thunderbird/

Make those settings in the product and restart your machine.

Let me know if you still encounter any issue. Take care.

• Also, Mozilla has implemented some new functions in the new product and our developers will have to change some things in the product in order for the toolbar to properly take actions on the selected items.

Could you make / change the settings from those mail services to POP3?

Make those settings in the product and restart your machine.

Hey Christian, thank you for your help. I will wait until the development team implements the necessary changes to the Bitdefender program. I do not want to change my email to POP3 since I want to access my email from multiple devices; so I will not be testing that. However, I did ask columbo (other user in this thread) and they confirmed that when they installed Thunderbird (Post #9) they believe they did so with a POP3 account. So it seems like the bdToolbar is working with POP3.

Are these types of fixes typically implemented quickly? I assume that I have to watch this thread to know when it has been fixed?

Once again, thank you for your support.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello

Our developers are working to fix this as soon as possible.

Yes, when the update will be released, it will be posted on that topic.

Have a nice day.

• That is great to hear! Thank you Christian.

I hope any changes the developers implement are version agnostic; Thunderbird 10 is being released tomorrow. :)

• columbo
    Options
    That is great to hear! Thank you Christian.

I hope any changes the developers implement are version agnostic; Thunderbird 10 is being released tomorrow. :)

Dittos to that, as version 11 will be right around the corner. That is one thing that kind of drives me nuts, as well I'm sure of some of the security software vendors (especially their Anti-Phishing toolbars), and that is all the updates Mozilla implements that can cause delays or issues with add-ons. (especially F.F.) :(

Earlybird.jpg

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Mozilla is in a rush that I simply don't understand. In the near future, it will release a version per day :D

Just kiddin' :)

I will make sure that our developers will be informed about the release of all new Mozilla products so that our toolbars will be compatible with these new versions.

• columbo
    Options

Mozilla is in a rush that I simply don't understand. In the near future, it will release a version per day :D

Just kiddin' :)

I will make sure that our developers will be informed about the release of all new Mozilla products so that our toolbars will be compatible with these new versions.

lol, that pretty close to the truth, they will soon come out like daily AV definition updates. ;)

• golfe
    edited January 2012
    Options

Sounds great! Thanks again, Christian.

I do have a few of questions:

1) Is the current BD Toolbar dependent on Thunderbird version?

2) When we get the toolbar working again (at least for me ;) ), should Thunderbird's adaptive junk mail controls (under Junk Settings area in the account settings area) be enabled when using BD Toolbar?

3) A similar question for Options > Security > Anti-Virus setting; should I "allow anti-virus clients to quarantine individual incoming messages"?

For questions 2 & 3, I placed images of what I'm talking about in Post #26 of this same topic thread. So, I'm basically wondering what the Bitdefender recommended settings are for the items in these two images.

• So happy to have come across this post- have the same problem with my anti-spam toolbar and couldn't figure out the problem, but after reading this, I now know it's because I'm using IMAP server for my gmail account in Thunderbird.

Thanks for all of your information! :)

• So happy to have come across this post- have the same problem with my anti-spam toolbar and couldn't figure out the problem, but after reading this, I now know it's because I'm using IMAP server for my gmail account in Thunderbird.

Thanks for all of your information! :)

Yes, I knew I couldn't be the only one! :)

The team is working on this issue and I'm sure we'll have a solution relatively shortly.

• With the newest BIS 2012 (15.0.36.1530) updated today, it appears that bdToolbar 7.0 is completely disabled (and hidden in the menu bar). After I made it visible and selected an email now, none of the buttons in bdToolbar became active (previously some of them became active). I assume this is the desired behavior while the developers work on the IMAP issue?

• With the newest BIS 2012 (15.0.36.1530) updated today, it appears that bdToolbar 7.0 is completely disabled (and hidden in the menu bar). After I made it visible and selected an email now, none of the buttons in bdToolbar became active (previously some of them became active). I assume this is the desired behavior while the developers work on the IMAP issue?

That's how the toolbar has always displayed in Thunderbird for me - all of the buttons have been disabled- none of them have been active at all.

• columbo
    Options

Same with me (@ golfe, I upgraded to the Suite). None of the toolbar options are functioning, and I get a ghost text of the Toolbar, even after I check B.D.

The toolbar dose not stay when I close out of Thunderbird, and have to re-check it when I re-open Thunderbird. Mine is a POP enabled gmail account, so I think this newer B.D. update is now beyond it being a POP/IMAP issue?

Tbirdnogo.jpg

• Same with me (@ golfe, I upgraded to the Suite). None of the toolbar options are functioning, and I get a ghost text of the Toolbar, even after I check B.D.

The toolbar dose not stay when I close out of Thunderbird, and have to re-check it when I re-open Thunderbird. Mine is a POP enabled gmail account, so I think this newer B.D. update is now beyond it being a POP/IMAP issue?

Glad to see that you are having issues too (well, of course I wish no one was having issues). I think this further confirms that the toolbar has essentially been disabled until the developers can sort out the compatibility with Thunderbird (> 9.0 or 10.0?). In addition to having none of the toolbar options functioning, I am seeing (or not seeing, depending on your viewpoint) the same issue with you that the toolbar does not stay open if Thunderbird is closed.

• columbo
    Options

Good point golfe, I forgot to mention it is Thunderbird v.10. Thanks also for confirming that the inactive Toolbar doesn't stay displayed when closing out of Thunderbird on your PC too.

The update did fix many things, they just have some other issues now to resolve, and once they get most of those taken care of, pretty much need to foundationally leave it alone through 2013. (maybe some minor tweaks)

• rootkit
    Options

We know about this issue, I have reported this after the release of Thunderbird 10.

We are working on a permanent fix for the toolbar.

I will provide you mode details as soon as I have them.

Thank you.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited February 2012
    Options

:):) Good news...at least for version 9.0.1...it all works :):)

I installed Bitdefender I.S. 2012 on my notebook tonight, which is running Thunderbird 9.0.1 and the B.D. toolbar was asked to install when I started Thunderbird, and every option works, and stays even after shutting it down, and re-opening it......then Thunderbird started its auto update into version 10, and all was lost.

So I went to my desktop and uninstalled v 10. restarted the PC, and reinstalled 9.0.1, and it too works flawlessly. What I did before uninstalling v. 10 was to disable Thunderbird's Auto Update, as a standard uninstall leaves your setting behind so that it wouldn't start updating itself when you open it. Also, before I installed v 9.0.1 I ran CCleaner and then also ran the registry cleaner to delete 2 keys that were found on both my PC uninstalls (see below) It's working on both my PC's, I do not have allot of add-ons running, so see what you end up with. Also remember, my settings are for POP.

Tbirdcleanup.jpg

For those who don't have the file you can download v. 9 of Thunderbird from FileHippo. The older versions are shown on the right side, click on v. 9.0.1 and it will show to download that version.

If this is where we'er at Christian as far as dealing with Mozilla's "pulse updates" ( Boris ;) ) it is an excellent step in your progress , thank you :):) I would rather have version 9, and have the B.D. Toolbar, than v10 without the toolbar, as v. 9 was not even working completely before.

• columbo
    Options

False alarm...sorry about that, it is an IMAP issue, as I created a IMAP account to verify that it would fully work, and it does not, and it only does work in POP mode. Sorry for the false alarm, as I've been using v. 10 for awhile and forgot with me, v. 9 with POP account was working. If I could, I would have Christian take down my above post :P ...yet, v. 10. even with a POP account was not working for me.

Again, sorry about doing the snoopy dance in the above post.

• rootkit
    Options

No worries, I got it from the first post. I also conducted some tests on my own about this.

I will get back to you when I have more data.

Thank you.

• columbo
    Options

Thanks, Christian ;)

• Further to my previous posts; Interestingly, I have Windows 7 64-bit edition installed on my computer, and, of course, the toolbar is completely disabled in Thunderbird (and upon opening Thunderbird, the toolbar is turned "off").

Something I've just discovered: my mum's computer (an old Pentium 4) has Windows XP installed. It has exactly the same version of Thunderbird installed, as well as the same version of Bitdefender. I have also set up a Gmail account (in Thunderbird) using IMAP. Very strangely though, although the first half of the toolbar buttons are disabled, the last few buttons stay visible, and seem to work. Not only that, the toolbar stays "on"/visible, ever after closing and re-opening Thunderbird.

So I'm just curios as to which Operating System everyone else is using? :)

• columbo
    Options

Hi Katherine,

Victoria, Australia..cool :)

I'm using 7, 64-bit.

This discussion has been closed.