Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Password Protection For Log Files

Options

I recently switched to Bitdefender and while reading forums, I have come to know that almost all of the below tools for gathering system information for some troubleshooting the issue, the logs of which are always password protected. Why is this so? Why the logs created are password protected? And how do we ensure that they don't gather any personal information or something else?

1) AVIS

2) BDIS

3) BDSysLog_i

4) BDSysLog

5) SPtool_for_scanlogs

There may be more tools which I don't know. Someone from the Technical support reply in detail. Ypu may already aware of that other security solution competitors don't protect their logs file with password.

Comments

• Post the comments.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

Welcome to the forums.

The password is not a secret in the industry, it's the same used for malware submission: infected

Also, your tools do not collect personal information. From tool to tool, they collect scan logs, list of active processes, startup list, list of installed programs, Bitdefender log files and some registry keys.

Also, BDSYS could also collect infected files running in memory of files that inject into other processes and they are suspect.

All these are also available in Windows and they could also be collected with any 3rd party tool.

We password protect these archives because in some cases they contain .exe files(BDSYS logs) and some web based email services do not allow to attach .exe files, even if they are located in an archive. If the archive is password protected, it could be attached and sent to us when me or one of my colleagues is asking for it during the investigation.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care.

• coolcool1227
    Options

Hmm interesting post. I have checked the said password for above tools e.g AVIS and BDIS etc but can't open the logs.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

For BDSYS logs/AVIS logs, you need a special tool that is only available internally. Once loaded that, the logs can be opened in Mozilla Firefox.

You wanted to know the password for those logs, you can now open the archives to see that we do not collect personal data.

Take care.

• coolcool1227
    Options

I believe that you do not collect personal data, but I want to study the logs "just for information" only. :)

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Trust me, you won't understand them :D

You need a training before doing that, they are not just like any other logs, just text.

These logs are only useful for our malware researchers. Using the information provided in the log, we know if the PC is infected or not.

And trust me, we can also see a rootkit in there :D

If you think your PC is infected, you can send me the log and I will "read" it for you.

Take care.

• coolcool1227
    Options

Trust me, you won't understand them :D

You need a training before doing that, they are not just like any other logs, just text.

These logs are only useful for our malware researchers. Using the information provided in the log, we know if the PC is infected or not.

And trust me, we can also see a rootkit in there :D

If you think your PC is infected, you can send me the log and I will "read" it for you.

Take care.

Hmm I understand. I'll definitely get your support when I suspect that my PC is infected.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi :)

Yes, you can send me the log via PM and I will get back to you with an answer.

Have a great day.