Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bdtl.dll Problem Again

Options

Having had a dreadful time working with my ISP sorting out bandwidth issues, specifically the "bursting" showing when using Ookla Speedtest and manifesting itself in awful streaming using YouTube, iPlayer etc. I finally found out the problem was bdtl.dll.

Renaming it bdtl.dl_ in Safe Mode completely resolves the problem in both BD 2012 and BD 2013 on two different versions of Windows (have different versions on Windows 7 and Vista, so no one can say it's an isolated problem). But to my annoyance, Bitdefender decides to fill in the gaps, and puts bdtl.dll back in place, resulting in the problem rearing its ugly head. I have no choice but to rename the file again and again. Have resorted to creating a fake bdtl.dll text file, but I'm pretty sure it will get overwritten.

In short, how can a problem that is so clearly down to one specific module, with such a wide range of problems (I heard it corrupts downloads as well), not be dealt with. Just scrap the module until it works properly rather than obfusicate constantly with such rubbish as "were working on it" or "Microsoft have been informed". It's a Bitdefender problem, and it always has been, for years.

Having moved over from Kaspersky to see what a different product could do for a change, it looks as though I will be installing MSSE or AVG, and dumping Bitdefender. As a computer service provider with lots of customers, I certainly won't be recommending Bitdefender to anyone unless the problem is fixed once and for all!

Comments

• Rohugh
    Options

TrafficLight is only a browser add-on/extension, it is not an integral part of Bitdefender and can easily be uninstalled from your browser, you are still more than adequately covered by the BD shields. If you need something similar you could always use Web of Trust, that is free as well. :)

• TrafficLight is only a browser add-on/extension, it is not an integral part of Bitdefender and can easily be uninstalled from your browser, you are still more than adequately covered by the BD shields. If you need something similar you could always use Web of Trust, that is free as well. :)

If you can tell me how to uninstall it then I'll be grateful. There is no option for that in the BD control panel, and it's not a PlugIn, Add-On or separate software installation.

• Rohugh
    Options

From your browser menu -

Firefox top left>Add-ons>Extensions

Chrome top right>Tools>extensions

IE top right>Manage Extensions

• From your browser menu -

Firefox top left>Add-ons>Extensions

Chrome top right>Tools>extensions

IE top right>Manage Extensions

Rohugh, I'm a computer support professional. I know how to use add-ons / extensions. You cannot remove / disable what is not there.

post-175829-1389611424_thumb.png

• Found the solution! You have to INSTALL the Traffic Light add-on first. It's always there as part of the Bitdefender installation, but the add-on is the only way of stopping it. Therefore:

1) Go to http://trafficlight.bitdefender.com

2) Follow instructions and install the add-on / extension

3) Restart Firefox etc.

4) Disable the add-on / extension

And now bdtl.dll is effectively neutralised and won't do anything.

• Rohugh
    Options
    Found the solution! You have to INSTALL the Traffic Light add-on first. It's always there as part of the Bitdefender installation, but the add-on is the only way of stopping it. Therefore:

Good, glad you have found the solution. :) I was not aware of that as I already had BDTL installed as an add on when I downloaded the BDTS. Hopefully that will help others in the same situation.

• Good, glad you have found the solution. :) I was not aware of that as I already had BDTL installed as an add on when I downloaded the BDTS. Hopefully that will help others in the same situation.

Thought it was resolved - now the original DLL has gone and asserted itself; overriding the disabled add-on.

BITDEFENDER SUPPORT where are you?

• Hooray! The problem is sorted once and for all.

I DELETED BITDEFENDER.

Then I installed Microsoft Security Essentials and left BD Traffic Light on. Turns out the problem isn't the Traffic Light add-on, it's the way Bitdefender screens internet traffic. Sorry guys, you screwed up big time so I'm never recommending this product to anyone.

• Rohugh
    Options

Sorry to hear you have had to leave BD and even sorrier that you had to dig to the bottom of the AV pile to find MSE - one the even Microsoft doesn't recommend. I checked and do have bdtl.dll in my programs folder but it gives me none of the problems you describe. Safe browsing. :)

• keithf
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have had to leave BD and even sorrier that you had to dig to the bottom of the AV pile to find MSE - one the even Microsoft doesn't recommend. I checked and do have bdtl.dll in my programs folder but it gives me none of the problems you describe. Safe browsing. :)

I spend lots of time clearing up viruses that McAfee, Norton, AVG and others fail to detect, then pop MSE on to find it detects things those "better" products fail to do. I also teach people good practice. I had Kaspersky on my main machine for years but it got bloated; Bitdefender made the computer unusable even after a reinstall. The problem with advanced AV products is they end up causing so many performance problems people turn bits off, and on the other hand people become complacent and don't use common sense.

To be honest, common sense plus AdBlock and NoScript essentially does away with the need for anti-virus software, excepting the odd unavoidable pen drive. My router stops DoS and intrusions. Oh, and I have two different versions of Ubuntu on two other machines (one virtual) which are for when I need to do anything risky :)

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I spend lots of time clearing up viruses that McAfee, Norton, AVG and others fail to detect, then pop MSE on to find it detects things those "better" products fail to do. I also teach people good practice. I had Kaspersky on my main machine for years but it got bloated; Bitdefender made the computer unusable even after a reinstall. The problem with advanced AV products is they end up causing so many performance problems people turn bits off, and on the other hand people become complacent and don't use common sense.

To be honest, common sense plus AdBlock and NoScript essentially does away with the need for anti-virus software, excepting the odd unavoidable pen drive. My router stops DoS and intrusions. Oh, and I have two different versions of Ubuntu on two other machines (one virtual) which are for when I need to do anything risky :)

Could I ask you a quick question? Why didn't you contact the actual Bitdefender support? I saw your post screaming, "BITDEFENDER SUPPORT, WHERE ARE YOU?". To which I would answer, right here:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html

Just curious, why didn't you open an email ticket with them? Remember, this is a public forum, although tech reps and developers do occasionally help out with problems in the forums, those problems are usually really big ones like Blue Screens and stuff like that.

• Given this problem had been raised again and again by dozens of other users on the forum, all of them saying Bitdefender did nothing, then what was the point? As it happens, BD support read these forums, but I was not appealling to them about *my* problem - I was saying that they haven't bothered dealing with it at all. They seem oblivious, which is a terrible way to run a business.

Am now running Avast, and very happy with it.

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    They seem oblivious, which is a terrible way to run a business.

I'm not trying to be bothersome here, but aren't you actually not going to know for sure since you didn't actually contact Bitdefender? ^_^