Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Does Bitdefender Total Security Have An Ad Blocker?

Options

Hello.

Does Bitdefender Total Security have an ad blocker that automatically blocks and deletes every single ads and banners on the internet?

I know Kaspersky PURE has that feature, but I'm not sure about Bitdefender Total Security...

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Comments

• No.

I have never seen any adblocker that achieves 100% and the product you mention certainly doesn't block and delete EVERY advert on the internet. ( and when I tried it on several systems reduced the performance to treacle mode).

I use Bitdefender Win8 Security, MVPS Hosts which provides adblocking and filters out malware sites along with a browser based adblocker.

Bitdefender is extremely light, and efficient, and silently gets on with protecting the system. I see no adverts and no performance loss.

• So Bitdefender Total Security automatically blocks and deletes approximately 99% of ads and banners, but not 100% of them. Is this correct?

• columbo
    columbo
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hello :)

AdrianHa's post# 2 was correct in the first word, No. After that it could have been a bit confusing the rest of the way on this thread.

None of the Bitdefender paid products, which all do include the Privacy feature along with it's setting, blocks pop ups or banner adds. The Firewall does not offer this option either, as some of the other AVs may include it there.

You would need to get the add on, add blocker for your browser. I use FF and occasionally Chrome, and those add versions seem to do an very nice job.

Here are the features and settings of the Privacy feature (plus the other two tabs across the top of the 2nd image). It is the same for AV+, IS, and Total Security. The 1st image is of the drop down setting from the BD web browser Toolbar tab. Search Advisor is the color coded icons next to web page searches (green, yellow and red)

post-4566-1397319314_thumb.jpg

Hope this helped to clarify things :)

• Nesivos
    Options
    Hello :)

AdrianHa's post# 2 was correct in the first word, No. After that it could have been a bit confusing the rest of the way on this thread.

None of the Bitdefender paid products, which all do include the Privacy feature along with it's setting, blocks pop ups or banner adds. The Firewall does not offer this option either, as some of the other AVs may include it there.

You would need to get the add on, add blocker for your browser. I use FF and occasionally Chrome, and those add versions seem to do an very nice job.

Here are the features and settings of the Privacy feature (plus the other two tabs across the top of the 2nd image). It is the same for AV+, IS, and Total Security. The 1st image is of the drop down setting from the BD web browser Toolbar tab. Search Advisor is the color coded icons next to web page searches (green, yellow and red)

post-4566-1397319314_thumb.jpg

Hope this helped to clarify things :)

@Columbo As always good stuff.

I would just like to chime in that if you are using Firefox, can't speak to any other web browser, you will find a number of tracking blocker extensions on the Firefox Addon website.

Ad blockers help prevent a user from clicking a malicous add. Tracking blocker software will help prevent tracking cookies fom gathering information about you like Name, address etc when you visit a website. Even if the tracking cookie only gathers the website you visited and your IP address it can be used along with tracking cookies on other websites your visit to build up a profile of your surfing habits. This in turn can be used to target you with ads This is why people who do not want to be harrassed while surfing the Net by Marketing people will use both Adblocker and Tracking blocker extensions when they use Firefox.

Worst case tracking cookies can be used to target you with ad containing malicious software often on legitimate and usually popular websites.

While Bitdefender itself does contain an Adblocker or cookie tracking blocker software there are numerous Firefox extensions that will block ads or block tracking cookes . If one wants an extra layer of protection regarding this they can use SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) along with BD anf Firefox with the appropriate exensions. SAS will find tacking cookies and delete them if get by the Firefox tracking cookie blocker extension.

One note on SAS Pro. It is a memory hog. I do use the Pro Version, however I have its auto-start real-time scanning feature turned off. This saves on memory usage and improves the computer's performance. However SAS will stil run scheduled scans because I have the progam itself configured to load when the computer boot_s/restarts. The scheduled scan will find and remove tracking cookies during a scan. I set the sechduled scans to times when I know I will not be using the computer as their scans are also memory hogs. I don't recall if their free version will do scheduled updates and scheduled scans. If it does than the free version would work fine to catch and remove any tracking cookes that may have gotten onto your computer.

Malwarebytes does not look for or remove tracking cookies. SAS does a good job with it. I actually use BDIS or BD W8 Security along with Malwarebytes Premium, SAS Pro, Win Patrol Plus and Microsoft's EMET on my computers. They all play nicely together for me.