[fixed in 20.0.21.1191] Ipv6 Blocked

I upgraded yesterday from bdis 2015 to 2016 and now the firewall block my IPv6 connection!

If i turn the firewall i have the internetconection on IPv6.

I think this is a huge problem while on is 2015 there was not such problem....

Comments

• So, I'm not the only one with this problem, it's no surprise!

This is what I just also noticed, just because I'm about to change my router. I have not done that yet, because I stopped up by this IPv6 no internet connection in status for Ethernet, so strange. My ISP is supporting IPv6, that I now. So this hole day wasted time for finding out what Bitdefender should have done something with by them self, that I pay them to do. I am somehow ###### off by this Firewall ######.

I was some how glad to have 2016 back after discontinued the Bitdefender 2015 for a while after upgrading to windows 10, because I ended up with unbearable firewall and streaming problem on etc youtube on Firefox and Chrome, even after complete clean uninstall and clean reinstall. So I then looked at F-Secure and tried it out, and it will be my next protection if Bitdefender do nothing, or continue to be so slow to fix an easy issue as this. Why would you completely block IPv6? This is something they should have been aware of.

I know what this problem is all about now. You can either set your adapter to trusted in firewall, that I'm not so comforted by. Or you can go to Rules, pick show general rules (it's on the bottom). Then scroll down to incoming ICMPv6, and turn this on to allow. Then after a few moment IPv6 should be active.

Test it out here:

Test you IPv6 page

About completely block incoming ICMPv6 is somehow debatable because it's also block ping, echo etc an other stuff. Some say it create bigger problem than it protect you from by disabling the connection completely.

However blocking all ICMP is throwing the baby out with the bathwater and will cause more bother than not blocking anything.

Is there some one with better solution to get IPv6 to work I'm listening. Next step is to just have another protection than Bitdefender until Bitdefender solve their problems.

• After the update to 20.0.19.1099 the ipv6 block is still present.....

• After the update to 20.0.19.1099 the ipv6 block is still present.....

I suppose this is still an issue? Maybe I should try out kaspersky...

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hi,

Please follow these steps:

1. Open the Bitdefender program > click on Modules > Protection > Firewall > make sure the Firewall is turned ON

2. Go to the Adapters tab > at "Network Type" select "Home/Office" > at "Stealth Mode" select "Off" > at "Generic" select "On"

3. Now restart the computer and redo the IPv6 test.

Please post back with your results.

• Hi,

1. Open the Bitdefender program > click on Modules > Protection > Firewall > make sure the Firewall is turned ON

2. Go to the Adapters tab > at "Network Type" select "Home/Office" > at "Stealth Mode" select "Off" > at "Generic" select "On"

Ok, I did that. It has been better. Have now taken several tests with ipv6 test, and also watched on status for ethernet in windows 10, with "generic" both on "on" and "off". It lasts about 10 minutes exactly, and then firewall block ipv6, no internet connections for ipv6. Beside that, when using firewall with "Home/Office"it seams somehow slower when normal surfing, and in a way that it's some annoying noticeable. But the first 10 minutes with your steps give somehow unstable access to ipv6.

When you start and you have access to ipv6, and it disconnect. You can also turn firewall off and then on again. Then you have 10 more minutes with ipv6 before it shut down the connections again.

I also did a reset for rules after this, just to see if it had something with the rules.

I think it's clearly something with the firewall, since if you turn the firewall off, or on trust, or enable incoming icmpv6 under general rules there is plenty and stable ipv6 connections.

I will again use this bitdefender uninstall tools you have to do an clean install again to see if that helps.

Mostly, it did the first 10 minutes as a accepted tests, so it's seams that with firewall it seams unstable. After the 10 minutes it just blocked ipv6: (I did get different result with the firewall. I post it under here)

"IPv6 firewalls need to permit ICMPv6, type 2 (Packet Too Big) to work correctly with the public Internet. If you are implementing the IPv6 firewall for your web site, your enterprise, or other organization, please permit this specific ICMPv6 message, even if you by default block other types of ICMP."

"The preferred fix is to permit ICMPv6 Type 2 Packet Too Big messages. Your router or firewall may be blocking these."

(Clearly not the router, since ipv6 works just fine without firewall. Configure your entire LAN for a smaller MTU (not really advised, and should not be necessary!))

• Hi,

Ok, I have then done the complete clean uninstall and reinstall. I even reset windows integrated firewall after the uninstall, before reinstalling bitdefender 2016 total. It's the same result. 10 minutes after start-up of windows the ipv6 will disable itself for some reason. When I give network type trust, it's just get back ipv6 connection immediately.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello,

We have replicated internally the issue reported in this topic and is going to be fixed soon via product update.

We will post back to let you know about the fix as soon as we release it.

Thank you for your patience.

• I was contacted to from technicians about this problem and i hope it will be fixed soon.

• Hi,

This issue was fixed today in the latest Bitdefender build version 20.0.21.1191.

Please bring up Bitdefender and click Update. Wait until the update process completes, then click the top right menu and select Events in the drop-down menu. Locate in the list of Update events the event asking to reboot the computer. Click on it and then click Restart Now button in the displayed details.

After the computer reboots, make sure you have the latest build: right click on the Bitdefender icon from the system tray, choose About and look at the Product Information number. It should be 20.0.21.1191.

Everything should be back to normal afterwards.

• hugosorli@gmail.com
    hugosorli@gmail.com PowerShot-X
    edited November 2015
    Hi,

This issue was fixed today in the latest Bitdefender build version 20.0.21.1191.

Please bring up Bitdefender and click Update. Wait until the update process completes, then click the top right menu and select Events in the drop-down menu. Locate in the list of Update events the event asking to reboot the computer. Click on it and then click Restart Now button in the displayed details.

After the computer reboots, make sure you have the latest build: right click on the Bitdefender icon from the system tray, choose About and look at the Product Information number. It should be 20.0.21.1191.

Everything should be back to normal afterwards.

First after this update (20.0.21.1191) windows Defender is turned on, so you have to turn this off again. But after some moment, when your networktype is set to home/office, generic to on, the IPv6 will still be blocked, even after a restart. Turn networktype over to trusted again, and IPv6 is right back again. I did also do a rule reset.

It could look like this firewall is just a beta. And I cant understand how this can be taken so long to fix, when it's a minor problem as I wrote before. I like Bitdefender in the big picture, but my license is almost over, and I will go for something else if the problem will not be fixed very soon.

• On 10/14/2015 at 1:42 AM, Georgia said:

Hi,

This helps me. it seems I have the same problem and this should be fixed asap!